Anyone know any home excercies? That don't require a gym, eq

Options
Hi all,

At this moment in time i dont feel confident enough to join a gym, so iv been doing excercises at home, things like
Dancing round the living room
running up n down stairs
steps
walking on the spot or round the room

Anyone know any others??

Please help!! x

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    HI there,

Anything that uses your own body weight is perfect and you can challenge yourself as much as you wish.

Pushups work the entire upper body and core.
    Free Squats work your entire Lower Body, same for Lunges
    Floor Crunches, Leg raises....all good.

You don't need a gym to workout, you just need to be creative. :-)
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Try Jillian michaels workout DVD's, theyre awesome!
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Oh ye i didnt even think of that!!!!

Any thing in particular for the upper body??

:)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Wii biggest loser! I think it's a good little workout, and you can do it from the comfort of your living room :)
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I would get a few DVD's, VHS tapes whatever works with different workouts you can follow. You can go to www.half.com and get them dirt cheap. It will change everything for you when you have something to follow and commit to it.
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

:)
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    There are alot of awesome DVDs out there....Insanity, P90X, Zumba, Turbo Jam

Goodluck
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I second this! I'm doing the 30-Day Shred for the second time and am really enjoying the results. It's a great workout with good replay value. My boyfriend is also doing it and his muscle definition is crazy (even though he uses the 3-lb weights and I use the 5-lb...lol) :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    go to sportline.com and sign up for the free digital copy of women's health, there's tons of "at home" exercises in each of the issues...it's good for a year and you can brows past copies...
  • littlet22
    Options
    If you have a Wii... the EA Active workouts are my fave.
    I have the biggest loser game, golds gym boxing and a few others but i workout regularly to the EA Active most everyday. There's a huge variety and they are doable.
    I too am just not confident enough for the gym so I looooooove my wii and I also use canned foods to use as a "weight" for light resistance. I know, I know... i'll be getting regular weights soon. lol
    good luck!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I would also put in a vouch for just joining the gym! Especially if you can find a YMCA or family friendly gym - they really have different attitudes and feelings than the show off your body gyms! There are people of all sizes and fitness levels and no one looks twice at anyone else.

I personally find the classes to be what push me the hardest and I am most likely to stick with. At the Y they are all included with your membership, and membership is on an income based sliding scale. They classes are also all made for every fitness level - ie in our weights class we have people with 25 lb weights and people with 5 lb weights and everyone just does what they can do!
  • MCS64
    MCS64 Posts: 126
    Options
    I would suggest any of Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds tapes.They are easy walking in place workouts that include simple arm movements. I have lost almost 30lbs with her tapes. We also have a group on MFP called SWat group. Check us out you can join anytime. You can also check out Leslie Sansone on Youtube just punch in her name and you will get an idea how her workouts are. I have found tapes to buy on Amazon and eBay also at Target.
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Jogging/walking in place in front of the tv while watching a good show/movie is a good one! Burn calories and entertain yourself at the same time. :)
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options

I second this! I'm doing the 30-Day Shred for the second time and am really enjoying the results. It's a great workout with good replay value. My boyfriend is also doing it and his muscle definition is crazy (even though he uses the 3-lb weights and I use the 5-lb...lol) :)
    I third this! JM 30 Day Shred is well worth the price (which is less than $10) it's also fairly short workouts 20ish minutes, and it delivers results if you stick to it. I wouldn't suggest it to people with knee problems though, I find it to be hard on the knees and I don't even have knee problems. Oh and for the weights, I never even bought any, I just used a couple of full shampoo bottles.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    A brisk walk has kicked my butt this week. It seems tame, but it's a good addition to doing everything else. Go fast with a goal time in mind. I have a large dog that I bring along. So this accomplishes 2 things. Also bike riding.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I posted a thread about a prison workout that uses simple set of exercises all in a sequence that works out your whole body.

Check it out
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/134088-the-prison-workout
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I love to do aerobics at home. There are tons of videos to choose from. If you are interested in videos, I suggest checking out http://collagevideo.com/. They have tons of videos and they test and rate them all. Plus there are tons of customer reviews. And, best of all, they show you a clip of every video so you can get a really good idea of what you're buying.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I do everything at home because I can't afford the gym and I have been able to lose 64 lbs so far.
    I love Jillian Michaels DVD's but also love Bob Harper's Blog on mytrainerbob.com.
    He has exercise challenge videos that are simple and effective. Most of them use no equipment or just small hand weights and are a few minutes long. Here's the link.

http://www.mytrainerbob.com/challenges

Also, if you are on Facebook you can become a fan of his page and the new videos will post on your wall.
  • RachM
    RachM Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Shampoo bottles is brilliant! I've been using soup cans! Her "no more trouble zones" is awesome!