Sleeping Tablets, do they slow down your metabolism?

Options
Does any one know if taking medication for sleeping or anti-depressants for severe anxiety disorder slow down your metabolism?

Replies

• whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You're asking the wrong people... probably need to consult your MD... I'm am lowly clinician, and I don't think they do.

Some antidepressants do increase appetite.

Irregardless of meds, moving and exercise kicks in endorphins.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree... talk to a doctor. Different meds cause different side effects. That's why doctors can try multiple meds to treat the same issue. And everyone's body chemistry is different, so something could impact you differently than it would someone else, especially if you're taking meds for another condition as well.
  • thistlelips
    thistlelips Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if sleeping pills slow your metabolism. In my own experiences I think sleeping pills have contributed to my weight gain. After I take one, I'll get super hungry, my impulse control goes out the window and I'll binge. I'll wake up the next morning surrounded by empty chocolate wrappers and not remember that I ate them. I'll feel groggy and hung over the next day so I eat Caffeine and sugar to feel more energetic. I'd rather nap than go to the gym. They make me nauseated, so I'll eat in an attempt to ease the nausea. Lastly, the horrible pill taste lasts all day, so I suck on candy to relieve it.

As for the anti-depressants... some of them can cause weight gain (but not all of them, so don't stop taking yours unless you talk to your doctor). The weight can depends on many factors: type of drug, dosage, combinations with other drugs, etc. They can make you gain weight in several ways: some slow your metabolism, make you crave carbs, make you hungrier or make you retain water. I've found that some of them make me sleepier, so I don't get the exercise I need. Also, some of them make my stomach feel like a burning acid pit, so I'll eat to try and soothe it. Sometimes it's not the drugs that make you gain weight, it's the underlying depression that causes it. If you're depressed you may not want to get out of bed, so you don't exercise and you eat crap because you can't be bothered making healthy stuff. When I'm depressed chocolate and a nap sounds better than a wheat grass smoothie and a run.

Despite knowing my anti-depressants contribute to me being fat, I still take them. I'd rather be fat and alive than skinnier and suicidal.