Have PCOS and can relate?

Options
Hello! I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS and my doctor put me on 500mg of Metformin twice a day. He told me it should help me lose weight. I always struggled with my weight but never really reached the point where I became significantly overweight. I usually fluctuate between 140Ibs to 160Ibs (and that is with an incredibly restrictive low carb and low fat diet). I know that might not seem a lot, but I don't feel like I look good and I feel like I am definitely carrying extra fat around various areas of my body. I was wondering if anyone was in a similar situation where they have PCOS but are only slightly overweight and if Metformin did indeed help them lose weight. Also, I am looking for friends and diet buddies who keep motivated because I keep falling off the wagon:/

Add me! And my fellow polycysters (see what I did there?) tell me about your story with diet and exercise and weight story with PCOS. Or just your weight story in general.

XX

Replies

• apinto2011
    apinto2011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi there sweetie. I also have PCOS along with endometriosis and am on metformin. Metformin definitely helped me jump start my weightloss but I'm not sure if it was from the drug or from the side effects (constant diarrhea).I am having a really hard time losing weight. I wish you all the best! Sending you a friend request!
  • ncsufishhead
    Options
    Hi there! I was sort of diagnosed yesterday. My doctor can't run tests yet because of just having my implant removed, but she is 99% certain that's my problem. I was hoping to find some people who could share what worked for them as I feel hopeless right now. I have tried so hard to lose weight through a very healthy diet and exercise and instead of losing...I actually GAIN. I am beyond frustrated. But not that I feel like I might get some help, I need to hear that something actually worked for some and there is hope. What exactly did you doctors do for you that helped and how quickly did you start to see results? I appreciate everyone's answers and support. Feel free to add me and we'll chat!
  • ashluv2sing
    ashluv2sing Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've been on metformin for a year now and I've lost 20 pounds. it's very slow going for me which is unfortunately a side effect of PCOS. I'm just happy that I've lost some though. Slow and steady wins the race right? :-) Metformin does mess with my stomach sometimes. I find that if I eat certain foods it tends to effect me more. I do sooo much better when I don't eat sugar but it is quite hard to keep up with that.
  • JessieMin
    JessieMin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about 10 years ago with PCOS but didn't start the metformin until last year. There was more weight gain than loss with the metformin unfortunately. :( Sorry I can't help more!
  • 280tofit2014
    Options
    Hi there!

I was diagnosed with PCOS as a young teenager a couple years ago. I've never been prescribed any medicine for it but I've been overweight, well, my whole life basically. Getting that in check now and changing things! Feel free to add me :)
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosed at 19 but probably had it much earlier. (36 now) i have never taken metformin. i have been successful losing weight without it but it does slow down after the first few months. the only time i stopped losing weight entirely is when i stopped trying. its not easy. i feel like i have to do a little more than a lot of people would to lose... but so far without drugs i have been able to physically pull it off. the mental road blocks are my issue.

i am however, going to see a girlie doc on monday for a check up, and i may discuss options. i have never been one to take medications unless absolutely necessary though.

i personally feel that i can lose weight without the drugs so if there isnt a more important reason to take it i probably wont. i am more concerned about controlling my hair issues... not real thrilled with that part here. but i may see if weight loss helps that too.

for me... i used pcos as an excuse a lot but i ate compulsively since my teen years. large amounts of calories. sounds like you didnt have that problem so you were able to keep the weight gain to a minimum. i did so it would be hard, even if i did take the medecine, to tell if it is lifestyle change or pills that made the difference.
  • la_vie_est_belle_
    la_vie_est_belle_ Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I am at a healthy weight but have to work my a** off at it. Don't let it bring you down! You can do this!
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and I'm not sure what metformin even is, I'll have to look into it.

I was diagnosed when I was 12 I think? So they only put me on birth control, and after being on that for 2 years I lost 20+ lbs, not even trying. I'm back up to original weight again though and still on BC.