Accurate weight/mesure of food

Options
mariluny
mariluny Posts: 428 Member
So a few months back i bought a food scale that i now use everyday. Eyeballing portions is just so complicated. Surprisingly enough, I now eat more because i was over guessing the portion of everything.

The problem is some food are easy to measure but some are really problematic. I can weight dry rice and dry pasta no problem. But what do you guys do with fruits and veggies? Do you weight with of without the skin (I'm talking non eatable skin here like grapefruit, banana, oranges, etc.) and what about the pit (like avocados or mangos).
What about meat? Do you weight it with of without the bones? I made osso bucco the other day and half of the weight is bone weight not meat weight. If i measure including the bone, each portion is 500-600 cal, without the bone i'm at 300... If it was off by 100 cal or less i wouldn't really care but 300 is huge!

Replies

• writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Weigh only the part you actually eat. If you can weigh just that portion (if you're going to cook a piece of meat on the bone, or if you're eating a piece of fruit whole), weigh what's left when you're done. If I don't have time to cup up an apple before I take it for lunch, I weigh the whole apple and write down the grams a leave a note for myself on the counter by my scale. Then I bring the core home after work and weigh it. Some things aren't worth that much trouble. Grape stems, for instance, don't weigh that much, so I just weigh the whole serving and log it, knowing the stem accounts for a few extra calories.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    weigh without bone.....

I also weigh my meat COOKED. Uncooked, it contains a **** load of water and ice.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thanks!