WHY?? Did I throw it all away?

Options
bear2303
bear2303 Posts: 252 Member
All of my old smaller clothes that is?!?

Literally just about a month before I started my journey to better health I threw away all of the smaller clothes that had been hanging in my closet and making be depressed for YEARS! And now a few months into my journey I wish I hadn't! All of my clothes now don't fit right and even though most of the stuff I threw away was outdated it would have at least been nice to wear it for old times sake and to know that I could!!

Anything that you threw away in your unhealthy state that you wish you had held on to?

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I threw away all of my size 4 clothes after I gained weight taking Lyrica. I still have a closet full of clothes I haven't been able to wear and I am NOT throwing any of them away.
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Not really...I held on to a lot of it and unfortunately none of it looks that good. Cute clothes from 5 years ago just aren't stylin' today and don't look as cute as I remember. :) Even jeans are different cuts and colors than a few years ago.

So most of the clothes I did hold on to I've gotten rid of. Constantly buying smaller sizes is pricey though. I use an online consignment store called thredup.com and have had good luck with them. You send them your clothes and they give you a credit. They do only take certain brands, and the clothes have to be in good shape though. I also shop like a fiend in local consignment shops.

Congrats on your weight loss though! And good luck getting some clothes you love.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I didn't throw a lot of it away - but I chuckled at it when I got some of it back out. "Sure this fits....but I'm not wearing it." Cheap slacks from the beginning of my professional career, jeans that are outdated, shirts that just aren't my style anymore. Here's are the ways I justify buying new clothes.

1. I'm already saving money by eating out much more rarely. I'd spend $11 at Jimmy John's for a sandwich, chips, and a drink. Ridiculous. I probably save $30-$40/week packing my lunch more regularly.

2. Think of the LONG TERM savings on overall health, doctor visits, prescriptions, etc.

3. This one is probably the most important. Spending money I even halfway regret spending is the surefire way to ensure I use it. Buy new jeans? I'm NOT outgrowing them. Buy a new bike? Better use it or the wife will give me hell!
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!!! I had this jean skirt. Frankly, it took me so long to find it back when I bought it, and my mother (a seamstress) made changes to it when I was younger. Why o why did I throw that away? ARGH!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I had a really nice light-weight wool suit, with a classic cut, that I wish I hadn't got rid of. It wouldn't have looked outdated, and there have been a handful of occasions that I would have worn it, over the last year.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I don't really care if things go out of style, I'll still wear them if they look good on me. Having to replace my entire wardrobe would bankrupt me.
  • Awesomers
    Awesomers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo others, here. I donated a lot of clothes, but I kept one shirt that I have never been able to wear. It still has the tags on it and I bought it 4+ years ago. I can finally put it on but...I don't even like it anymore! :laugh:

The only things that I do miss are some band t-shirts that I gave away. But I'm 31 now. Trying to be a grownup.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm finally on the right track with losing weight, but I'm still going to throw out most of my smaller clothes. They just aren't my style anymore.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Actually yeah I threw all my old clothes away and I'm probably now at the point where I could be wearing them but I don't have any regrets. Wouldn't have wanted to look at them for the past few years when I was heavier.
  • bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    your body likely will fit differently in the same clothes, as well as the cut of the clothes won't be what you remember. just had to get rid of a very nice pair of levis that i kept for these reasons. no way i remember wearing the waist so high, or that the legs were so long... but i guess it was a different time! they were proof that it was a good reason to have donated all of those clothes!!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    yes, I didn't think I could learn to live and eat a different way. Finally I have made up my mind it has to be like this for a lifetime so I can stay in my clothes.
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing last year! I had gotten up to a size 16 and thought "I'm never gonna lose this weight!" so I took all the size 10's and 12's out and gave them to a thrift store. Now I've lost 30 pounds and I'm down to a 12 again, almost a 10 and all my clothes are SOOOO baggy. I had those small clothes for years too, now I regret getting rid of them. But on the brighter side, I see it as an excuse to go clothes shopping when I hit my goal weight! :D
  • squishycatmew
    squishycatmew Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I've been slowly doing a closet purge and a lot of the things that are gone are things that got too small - because they might fit again, but I no longer *like* them enough for them to be worth keeping. My style has changed and I'm only holding on to a few things that are actually still in good shape/I still like/have sentimental value. (Plus my body has definitely changed - in particular, my breasts are larger in proportion to the rest of my torso than they were before my weight gain - maybe because it's been 10 years since my initial gain, maybe because I'm on the Pill and have been for almost three years now, but I absolutely have tops that fit me when I weighed more than I do now that still don't fit again, because they are too tight in the bust. I'm actually king of upset, since I was hoping that when I lost some weight and went down a band size I'd be able to buy the bras I liked again, but no - I'm up a cup size from the last time I wore a 36 band (and two cup sizes up from before my initial weight gain), so instead I find that I'm considered too busty for the demi-cup and balconet styles I like.)

I do kind of wish that I didn't have to spend the money on new clothes, but there is something kind of satisfying about it (and I'm also trying to go for quality over quantity).
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Literally just about a month before I started my journey to better health I threw away all of the smaller clothes that had been hanging in my closet and making be depressed for YEARS! And now a few months into my journey I wish I hadn't! All of my clothes now don't fit right and even though most of the stuff I threw away was outdated it would have at least been nice to wear it for old times sake and to know that I could!!

Anything that you threw away in your unhealthy state that you wish you had held on to?

If I had saved all of my skinny clothes from my previous weight loss they'd have been 10 years out of date! :)
  • dawnrguillory
    dawnrguillory Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for fitting into your SMALL clothes! That is something to be happy about : )
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I wish I kept my smaller clothes. I'm sure there are some things I still would wear.
  • bear2303
    Options
    I didn't throw a lot of it away - but I chuckled at it when I got some of it back out. "Sure this fits....but I'm not wearing it." Cheap slacks from the beginning of my professional career, jeans that are outdated, shirts that just aren't my style anymore. Here's are the ways I justify buying new clothes.

1. I'm already saving money by eating out much more rarely. I'd spend $11 at Jimmy John's for a sandwich, chips, and a drink. Ridiculous. I probably save $30-$40/week packing my lunch more regularly.

2. Think of the LONG TERM savings on overall health, doctor visits, prescriptions, etc.

3. This one is probably the most important. Spending money I even halfway regret spending is the surefire way to ensure I use it. Buy new jeans? I'm NOT outgrowing them. Buy a new bike? Better use it or the wife will give me hell!

These are all good points!! Unfortunately your number one doesn't work for me :) I still don't eat out very much but my husband and I now eat almost all organic and that is much for expensive than a totinos pizza and funyuns :) hahahah One thing is that we spend less on entertainment now though, our entertainment budget has been overtaken by hikes on the weekend!
  • bear2303
    Options

If I had saved all of my skinny clothes from my previous weight loss they'd have been 10 years out of date! :)

Ha I know most of mine were nearly that out of date but for me I don't always believe what the scale says so fitting into clothes that I know would have been too small earlier gives me a boost!
  • YallaEsma1
    YallaEsma1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So I actually have the opposite story...

I lost about 32 lbs a few years back, and celebrated by slowly replacing most of my wardrobe. I then cleaned out all the bigger sizes, and dropped them off at Goodwill. It felt sooooo good!

Then, after a job change and going back to school, the scale has slowly crept back up. (so here I am again!) Part of my decision to get back to my previous healthy lifestyle was that I refuse to go back 'up' in clothing size. Instead of buying new pants I am living with the few pairs that do fit, and getting myself back in to my "sexypants".
  • bear2303
    Options
    I did the same thing last year! I had gotten up to a size 16 and thought "I'm never gonna lose this weight!" so I took all the size 10's and 12's out and gave them to a thrift store. Now I've lost 30 pounds and I'm down to a 12 again, almost a 10 and all my clothes are SOOOO baggy. I had those small clothes for years too, now I regret getting rid of them. But on the brighter side, I see it as an excuse to go clothes shopping when I hit my goal weight! :D

Yup right before I started losing I had resigned myself to the idea that I was going to be heavy forever and therefore I should give up and buy new "fat" pants which i did and now those are literally falling off of me! I am now at that strange stage where things are too loose but I don't really want to buy new clothes yet since I still have about 20 pounds to go until I get to my GW. Don't want to spend all my money on "in between" clothes!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!