Water

Options
Hi! I'm new to MFP and had a question about water. Can you count other drinks (i.e. Juice, milk, decaf tea/coffee) as water? Thanks

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count anything that has calories or caffeine as "water".
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to MFP and had a question about water. Can you count other drinks (i.e. Juice, milk, decaf tea/coffee) as water? Thanks

Yes. Any liquid can hydrate you. However, if the drink has calories, be sure to log the calories as well. As long as your urine is pale yellow/clear(ish), you should be well hydrated.

Now, sit back and wait for the "ONLY WATER IS WATER!!!!111!" crusade.

*Edited to clarify: Any liquid except for alcohol. Milk and juice will hydrate you, also, but just be sure to log the calories.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    That would be nice but no.
  • bsmock88
    bsmock88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I personally count water as plain ole water. I have the occasional coffee and tea, but not enough daily to go into my numbers. If you drink tea a lot, or coffee, I suppose you could since it's just water with extras. Milk or juice are totally seperate. Hope this helps!
  • Enlightened2014
    Options
    No log all other fluids in MFP, simply they have calories, fats and other things that need to be accounted for. MFP works best when you are 100% honest and track everything you eat and drink.

Water is water. YOu will be surprised when you start adding in all these little things like I was. Wow that much sugar, or sodium!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options

Yes. Any liquid can hydrate you. However, if the drink has calories, be sure to log the calories as well. As long as your urine is pale yellow/clear(ish), you should be well hydrated.

this
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options

I pretty much agree. Your body gets hydrated from all kinds of sources, fruits/veggies, teas, coffee, beer...the problem is when the stuff in the water counteracts the hydration. Like alcohol, caffeine, salt...etc.

So it would be hard to quantify how much water you get from a cup of coffee considering how much caffeine is in it...and you probably just lose water from a beer...
  • hallo_spacedog
    hallo_spacedog Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I pretty much agree. Your body gets hydrated from all kinds of sources, fruits/veggies, teas, coffee, beer...the problem is when the stuff in the water counteracts the hydration. Like alcohol, caffeine, salt...etc.

So it would be hard to quantify how much water you get from a cup of coffee considering how much caffeine is in it...and you probably just lose water from a beer...

Truth in this, if you've ever had a night where you had about 10 beers but didn't eat anything, despite the massive caloric intake you wake up weirdly like 3 lbs lighter from dehydration. Or at least I do.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Truth in this, if you've ever had a night where you had about 10 beers but didn't eat anything, despite the massive caloric intake you wake up weirdly like 3 lbs lighter from dehydration...
    and a damnass headache and severe craving for taco bell...
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options

Truth in this, if you've ever had a night where you had about 10 beers but didn't eat anything, despite the massive caloric intake you wake up weirdly like 3 lbs lighter from dehydration...
    and a damnass headache and severe craving for taco bell...

All this, minus the headache and with a craving for Burger King french toast sticks...
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options
    It depends on what "count as water" means. All non-alcoholic beverages and many foods contribute to your daily hydration. So yes, some mia in your water or an unsweetened ice tea or diet pop "count as water".

Water doesn't need to be tracked, other beverages with calories do. Other beverages may contain surprise sodium or other nutrients even if they don't have calories.