Is it possible to lose height if you've lost 206 pounds?

Hello all. I've lost 206 pounds since I began my weight loss journey on 1/1/13. My story can be read hear-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1160837-from-420-2-pounds-to-219-6-pounds-picture

I saw my doctor earlier this week, and I was measured at 6 foot half an inch. I had him look again, just to make sure, and it was the same. Prior to losing weight, I had been 6'2" or 6'3".

Is it possible I've lost and inch and a half or two in height? I've done some research which has been inconclusive, so I thought I would solicit opinions from all of you.

Thank you.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    i could be just that your posture has gotten worse. i know i actually gained about a half inch to an inch because my back straightened out from lifting weights
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    I did.

However, you can also change that much just thru the course of a day. Was this doctor appointment at the end of the day?
  • linsdog
    linsdog Posts: 94 Member
    I know my hat size went down from lost weight. So I would assume you can possibly lose apparent height through fat loss. Not 100% sure thought as I remained the same height,....
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    It also depends on how your height had been measured before (ie: from front or back).
  • lisanhorowitz
    lisanhorowitz Posts: 38 Member
    your height fluctuates due to your vertebrae. When you get up in the morning you are your tallest as the day goes on you get shorter as gravity acts on your spine. I learned this from ACE's essentials of exercise science
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    i could be just that your posture has gotten worse. i know i actually gained about a half inch to an inch because my back straightened out from lifting weights

I gained 1/2 an inch, as well.
  • summer92008
    summer92008 Posts: 202
    Hmmm....I don't know. Your height usually has to do more with your actual bone structure (posture, straightness of your back, etc.). I don't see how it could shrink or expand. Maybe your shoes soles were thicker before? I know that sounds silly, but it could be a possibility.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I think it's possible. I've heard of people losing AND gaining an inch or so in height after weight loss.

Everyone tells me I look taller. I've lost 130 lb, and have always been 5'8". However when I am seated I notice that I sit so much lower in chairs and car seats due to less fat buoying me up and padding my lower body - so I kind of feel shorter.
  • I lost more than an inch in height after having my back broken (L4-L5 compression fractures) and then a bit more when I gained weight during treatment which included Prednisone for other health issues. After many years of struggling to lose most of that weight, I regained about an inch back, most likely due to better posture.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    You can have fat on the top of your head and also extra fat on the bottom of your feet.. with those gone yes you can be shorter but I can't see it making you lose two whole inches!
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    It depends on the amount of fat that was in your skin and how much of that you have lost. There have been people who have a lot in their skin and when they lose it they drop shoe sizes and hat sizes due to this. Which also causes height to drop because you don't have as much on the soles of your feet or in the scalp.

I remember seeing a celelberity who lost a ton (hundreds of pounds) of weight talking about he had so much fat on his feet he dropped 2 shoes sizes and lost 4 inches of height. Sadly I can't remember his name.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    bml.gif
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    It depends on the amount of fat that was in your skin and how much of that you have lost. There have been people who have a lot in their skin and when they lose it they drop shoe sizes and hat sizes due to this. Which also causes height to drop because you don't have as much on the soles of your feet or in the scalp.

I remember seeing a celelberity who lost a ton (hundreds of pounds) of weight talking about he had so much fat on his feet he dropped 2 shoes sizes and lost 4 inches of height. Sadly I can't remember his name.
    not trying to sound like an *kitten*, but i find it hard to believe that someone can carry 4 inches of fat on the top of their head/bottom of their feet. those are just 2 places where fat typically doesnt accumulate
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Interesting point about posture.
  • PosterGuy1
    Hello. It was actually in the morning.
  • PosterGuy1
    I should mention that I've dropped a show size.

Sorry everyone I'm not sure why I didn't press "quote."
  • ink_b1tch
    ink_b1tch Posts: 101
    reduction of fat, shoe, front/back measurement, posture there are so many factors that could cause this including who ever took your height back when u were heavy was a moron.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Yeah, I'm voting for loss of fat in the foot and a change of posture from not being "front" heavy anymore. But, if your concerned you've lost bone mass, tell your doctor. They might order a bone density test. And if you have weakened your bones, please be careful while working to rebuild their density.
  • PosterGuy1
    Great responses. Thank you guys.