what am i doing wrong? why cant i lose weight

Options
i recently lost weight doing nothing but going for a run everyday, now im going to the gym for 1 1/2 sometimes even 2 hours a day and ive been doing this for over a month, and i eat about 1500-1700 calories a day and IM STILL NOT LOSING WEIGHT ! :(
what am i doing wrong i expected to be losing weight like crazy becoming so healthy :(
i dont want to eat more because im not hungry and your not suppose to eat unless your hungry right .......
and i do have alot of weight to lose im 185

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How do you track your calories in? Measuring cups, food scale, estimating portions?
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    measuring cups
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    Ps-your diary is closed.

The key for me is being 100% accurate and honest about what I eat. Logging cooking oils, sprays, condiments. Weighing all solid food. I even picked up an inexpensive scale from Amazon to have in my office at work. (More convenient than using the postage scale - and I wasn't sure it was accurate.)
  • StaciMarie1974
    Options
    That could be your problem. You don't know that you're eating 1500-1700 per day. Measuring cups are not accurate for solid food. THey are meant for liquids. Get a food scale, and log in grams.
    measuring cups
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    measuring cups

Get some food scales and weigh your food, using volume is not accurate
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I would invest $20 and get a food scale. You'd be surprised when I took out my usual "1 cup peanut butter" and I put it on the food scale exactly how wrong I was about what 1 cup actually is.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think. measuring cups is not accurate for solid items as it's a measure of volume buy some scales and have a look at this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Can't really give you specifics when your diary is closed. Agreed on getting a food scale though. I've lost plenty of weight without exercise. Calculate BMR and TDEE if you haven't done that already and try to be as accurate as possible with everything. Goodluck!
  • BonworthVonFattyPants
    BonworthVonFattyPants Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You're eating more than you think.

This is the only answer.

We lose weight in the kitchen, not the gym.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Overeating
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You are not losing weight because you are not at a caloric deficit. Open your diary, therein lies the answer (if you log accurately).
  • kahulalui
    kahulalui Posts: 33
    Options
    I am going to get a food scale. This is getting really ridiculous for me.

I know I weight alot but, sometimes I wonder if the calories that are taken away from my food are not accurate. I have been pretty active since childhood. Maybe my body is use to things and doesn't burn the amount of actual calories?
  • Veganvibesss
    Options
    well see when i eat anything i add more calories then it says it is just incase, so i really dont think im over eating.. for example if i eat 1 cup of sliced mango it says that's 107 calories, then ill just put down 200 i round up alot.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    well see when i eat anything i add more calories then it says it is just incase, so i really dont think im over eating.. for example if i eat 1 cup of sliced mango it says that's 107 calories, then ill just put down 200 i round up alot.

What is the point of logging if you're not accurate? If you're just adding whatever and adding hundreds of extra calories a day it is impossible to know what's going on in your dairy that's preventing you from losing weight....
  • Veganvibesss
    Options
    i know but im nervous of not knowingly eating to much so i do it because im sure eating less is better then eating more
  • VR301
    VR301 Posts: 2
    Options
    i know but im nervous of not knowingly eating to much so i do it because im sure eating less is better then eating more

From experience of being where you are at, hitting the platue, it really is important to properly log AND get that food scale, preferably a digital one. Invest in a heart rate monitor too so that you can proper log your exercise. I use a Polar F4 and love it. I didn't lose everything I did before by guessing/rounding/not being exact. Going my second round on MFP after stopping and gaining back, I know those are tools to succeed.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    i recently lost weight doing nothing but going for a run everyday, now im going to the gym for 1 1/2 sometimes even 2 hours a day and ive been doing this for over a month, and i eat about 1500-1700 calories a day and IM STILL NOT LOSING WEIGHT ! :(
    what am i doing wrong i expected to be losing weight like crazy becoming so healthy :(
    i dont want to eat more because im not hungry and your not suppose to eat unless your hungry right .......
    and i do have alot of weight to lose im 185

Do you use a food scale? If not, you are overeating which is why you aren't losing weight. Purchase a food scale asap.

Do you use MFP to determine calories burned during exercise? Or do you wear a heart rate monitor? MFP significantly overestimates calories burned during exercise. Therefore, it's important to use a heart rate monitor (with a chest strap) to most accurately calculate calories burned.