Eating back exercise calories

Options
2»

Replies

• PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    This Site explains it REALLY well! ---> http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/eating-back-calories-burned/

That link is awesome.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You have to make some allowance for estimation error. It's all an estimate, but some estimates are better than others. Online databases and calculators are generally the least accurate...a HRM with a chest strap is the most accurate (but I still knocked off 20%) but only for an aerobic event.

Yes, you are supposed to eat back exercise calories with MFP, that is how it is designed...but it's difficult because it's so hard to estimate calories burned...to boot, most people underestimate intake as well and end up with a combination of overestimating their burn and underestimating their intake and voila...they don't lose weight.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I log it and manually set it to 1 calorie burned. If I feel like I'm losing too quickly, or if I felt starving all the time (and not just daydreaming-about-food hunger) I would then manually increase calories. I very consistent in exercise though - I do pretty much the same exercise every day.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I have been dieting/logging my calories for the past little over 3 weeks now and so far so good! I have lost 16 lbs but still have a very long way to go.
    (snipped)
    I am concerned if I consume too little calories that I will put my body into starvation mode and will stop losing and conversely I am worried that I am consuming TOO much back and I will stop losing!!

I don't mind losing at a rate of 1.5-2 lbs a week but I want to make sure that I am at least losing!

HELP PLEASE!!!
    Sacto;
    As you can see from the variety of "I do...", "I don't...", and "I do some, but not all..." responses you've received so far there is NO "right" answer to your question.

Most of those who have offered "advice" and explanations of how "they do it" have been at it long enough to know what "works" for them and THAT is what really matters - what works for THEM.

It will take you some time, and in the meantime as you "learn" more and expose yourself to more "opinions" as to why "my" method is "better" than someone else's it will provide you with more "options" than you likely can count. Take them each for what they are worth, try another if whatever it is you are currently doing isn't "working" the way you'd like, and eventually you'll find what "works" for YOU.

Sounds like a daunting task, it's really not. More of a natural progression as long as you keep an open mind and don't buy in to the various "myths" and "dogma" many are wont to proffer.

My two cents, you are off to a good start (maybe a "too good" start @ almost 5lbs/week) but I'm sure you know that the first couple weeks almost always consist of a fair amount of "water weight" loss and shortly you'll want to settle in at something closer to 1.5 -2#/wk.

Assuming your current "exercise" routine (walking) is fairly constant (week to week), why make things more "complicated" than they need to be?

Track your daily cal intake "religiously" and as accurately as humanly possible (yes, it "requires" weighing stuff and not "guesstimating"). Track too your weight daily (some have "issues" with daily, but it really does give you the best and most accurate data). But DO NOT obsess over day to day fluctuations (almost "nothing" happens as a result of what you did "yesterday"), as a previous poster said, think in terms of WEEKLY averages, NOT one day.

As long as you are reasonably close to your total weekly cal IN number, AND your average weekly weight loss is "close" to your goal - leave "well enough" ALONE and keep on trucking.

If "average" weekly weight loss begins to decline (and it WILL as you lose) you should gradually change your "goal" down from 1.5 - 2lb/wk, maybe 1/2#/wk at a time (every 30 days or so). You (probably) will also have to reduce total cals IN as time goes on and you get closer and closer to your goal weight.

The "final 10" are, for almost everyone, the most difficult (and take the longest) to lose - perfectly normal.

Many (not all, but "many") hit "plateaus" along the trip where weight loss just seems to stop for no reason at all. Once again, perfectly normal, expect that it "will" happen and, if it doesn't, be thankful. If, OTOH it "does" happen, it won't be a surprise and you can either just "wait it out" or change up your routine some to try and "kick start" the loss.

Opinions vary across the board as to which method is better (as they do with almost EVERYthing else in the "diet" world, but there is simply no clear cut (or scientifically documented) "right answer". In any case, as long as you don't give up, you WILL resume losing as long as Cals IN, remain lower than Cals OUT - it really is that simple.

So, for me, all the "trick", hi-tech, "stuff" really isn't necessary. Heart Rate Monitors certainly have their place for those involved in high intensity workouts or even those seeking to hit the "sweet spot" for both the specific exercise they are doing, or for heart health in general if that is of concern, but the the "average/everyday" person just looking to lose weight - "nice" but not "necessary" (again, IMO), spend the money on better quality food.

Some will argue for the "psychological" and/or "motivational" benefits and if, for them that's what "works" then I'm all for it - whatever WORKS!

But back to the original question, I'm a firm believer in the KISS theory and would rather spend my time ensuring that calorie (IN) and nutrition numbers are accurate and in the "healthy" range and that the IN number I'm using is producing the desired results that I would worrying about if a fitbit is more accurate than the treadmill at the gym when they "guesstimate" cals burned.

Ignore the "starvation mode" BS because that's what it is. As long as you are close to the recommended 20% you'll be just fine. You'll know "for sure" by accurately tracking Cals IN, weight, and the loss rate and trend.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ......sorry 'bout that.....not sure how it got "double posted"
    mods please remove this one if you can
    thanks
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I usually eat all of them. Sometimes more.
  • jcim1ru
    jcim1ru Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It's almost a religion for me to stick to the 1200 calorie per day food intake. I started by measuring everything I ate until I learned what a serving of food looked like or how to gauge what 4 oz or 6 oz services equated to on my plate.

I also have a caloric burn goal I try to achieve each and every day through a variety of activities. It's typically a combination of daily chores and purposeful exercise.

If I decide to "splurge" I tend to add extra minutes on my stationary bike to make up for what I plan to go over in food calories.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them back because if I do the weight won't budge. When you're heavier and starting out you can do some of that but once you hit the halfway point not so much. :/ IDK.... I might not even be the best person for advice because I'm plateaued. I count every calorie religiously and I work out like a dog but it ain't moving.... and I'm still kinda fat. so um.... You don't want to go overboard of course, but I would always err on the side of eating fewer cals I guess.
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Based on experience, I'm happy to eat back walking/running calories (calculated by RunKeeper) and wii fit calories (not that I use wii fit much these days) but I've underestimated my gym calories, so technically I'm not eating back all my workout calories.

I just think it's harder to accurately calculate my gym calories (no HRM etc) so I need to be more careful there.

I don't weigh food either, part of this is a guessing game! Works for me though, I don't want to take things too far or I know I'll eventually give up. I want the logging etc to be sustainable.