Tips for logging when you don't know the calories of a meal?

Options
Hellooooo all.

I'm off to a family BBQ on Sunday and I wondered if anyone has any tips on how to log food most accurately when someone else is making it? The family chef is great and is making lots of exciting vegetarian food (lots of us are veggie) so a lot of it will be vegetable based, but I imagine there will be a lot of olive oil.

Any tips on how to guesstimate? I'm accepting it will be a 'cheat' day for me, but I don't want to go wildly over!

Thanks in advance! :-)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What I do: Find the closest thing in the database - or try and add the ingredients individually using your best guesses. If adding the closest thing and it seems low add a tablespoon (or more) of olive oil (since you mentioned that specifically) to your log. Add quick add calories if needed.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What I do: Find the closest thing in the database - or try and add the ingredients individually using your best guesses. If adding the closest thing and it seems low add a tablespoon (or more) of olive oil (since you mentioned that specifically) to your log. Add quick add calories if needed.

^This is about what I do, too. Sometimes you just have to enter your best guess.
  • steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I think I might take a photo of everything I eat so I can spend time working it out as best I can when I get home. :-)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Personally, just do not bother to log it. Just skip it and start again the next day

One day will have no real affect long term
  • KM0692
    KM0692 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm going to a BBQ tonight and plan to do the above - estimate the best I can based on similar foods in the database.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I think I might take a photo of everything I eat so I can spend time working it out as best I can when I get home. :-)

I was just going to suggest this. You are a smart cookie. Plus photos of food is an in thing these days...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I also vouch for just finding the closest match in the database. If a dish tastes particularly rich or reasy log an extra tablespoon or two of oil or butter. Calorie counting is not an exact science so don't fret too much about it.