Dumb question maybe actually 2

Options
So, I've heard/read that lifting continues to burn calories after you've finished. So with the calculators (I know never 100% accurate) Do they calculate the total? There's no way to calculate what you burn after you stop right?
Dumb question #2: You can't spot reduce. Got that. So if I was a person who while eating at a deficit, did heavy lifting upper body only (say leg injury and couldn't) Would I become grossly unproportioned over a period of time?

Replies

• azrubael
    azrubael Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    1.) Correct, and even the estimated calorie burn you will get for lifting is at best going to be a wild guess.

2.) While eating at a deficit your body consumes fat and muscle to fuel itself. You left at a deficit while eating
    protein to try to retain the muscle that is already there. That being said yes you can still end up disproportionate if this were to go on for a long enough period because you would be retaining more muscle from your upper body, while your lower body would begin to atrophy.

p.s. Not dumb questions at all.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    calories burned during EPOC are a very small percentage of total calories burned so it's not going to make that much of a difference. not to mention the fact that not many calories are burned during lifting; lweightlifting is pretty much an inefficient way to burn calories if your main goal is to just burn calories

lyle mcdonald has some good info on epoc. here's one article

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/steady-state-versus-intervals-and-epoc-practical-application.html
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    1. Sort of, but not as much as people like to imply.

2. Not "grossly" disproportionate as you don't really build muscle while dieting, but maybe a little as you might lose muscle from your lower body and keep it in your upper, and keep more fat in your lower, and less fat in your upper body.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Makes perfect sense!