If I burn 1500 kcal a day, how much weight will I lose?

Options
I hope there's someone online who can give me a quick answer. I'm 19, 1.70-ish tall/ 5'7'', 63kg/138lbs. Of course I'm aware that the answer of my question depends on how much and what I eat, but can you give me approximate information on how much weight I could possibly lose (if any) in 2 months, by burning 1500 calories a day? I would really appreciate direct, honest and fast (if possibly) answers, thank you very much in advance and have a nice day.:smile:

Replies

• kherrons
    kherrons Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    They say a 3,500 calorie deficit is equal to 1lb loss. That's not science, just some random number but you can do the math from there.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you have 33 lb to go to your goal. So you'd like to weigh 105 lb at 5'7"?

eta: you changed your profile to private but it was open as I wrote this.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    you burn that much just for being alive everyday...
  • yomrheisenberg
    Options
    I usually forget to update my goals, I want to lose not more than 10kgs/22lbs.
  • Booda101
    Booda101 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind your body burns calories just by being alive. At that weight, I'm not sure it's even possible (without spending just about all day in a gym) to burn an additional 1500 calories on top of what your body already burns.

That being said, math says a little over 25lbs if you maintain a 1500 daily calorie deficit. At your current weight though, it would not be healthy or advised.
  • yomrheisenberg
    Options
    I meant burning 1500 kcal from exercising, not summed up with everyday activities.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I usually forget to update my goals, I want to lose not more than 10kgs/22lbs.

Still puts you into the underweight category. If that's you in your profile pic, you are already very skinny and you want to burn 1500 calories a day through exercise? This sounds like an eating disorder just waiting to happen.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    They say a 3,500 calorie deficit is equal to 1lb loss. That's not science, just some random number but you can do the math from there.

In what way is it a random number?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I meant burning 1500 kcal from exercising, not summed up with everyday activities.

What exercise are you planning to do to burn 1500 calories per day?
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    that seems like a lot of calories to burn in a day, you could lose 2lb a week by sticking to MFP recommendations and burning 200cals a day, fast weight loss isn't healthy and probably wont last
  • micfit9
    micfit9 Posts: 18
    Options
    I did something similar to this for a few months and now I'm recovering from an eating disorder.
    I was 5'7 ... 140.
    Now I have osteoporosis and I'm 19 years old.
    and I don't think I'll ever be able to so much as run again.
    I struggle everyday to function.
    it hurts to walk a mile on flat ground.

Don't be dumb.
    Recognize you have "body acceptance" issues and work on your self-esteem.

Wanting to lose weight when you're already at a healthy weight is a cover-up to deeper self-esteem issues.

You really won't feel as good about yourself as you think you would at a lower weight.

youreatopia.com
  • yomrheisenberg
    Options

What exercise are you planning to do to burn 1500 calories per day?

I run 15km/9 miles every morning and 5km/3miles every evening, in between I mostly do 2 or 3 7-minute workouts or I go to the fitness.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You burn about 1955 calories a day just being sedentary. To burn 1500 calories you would need to run 10 mph for 2 hours and 45 minutes -- the speed maintained by international champion marathon racers. At which point you would probably pass out from lack of food since your body needs 1955 for a regular day without exercise just to run all your organs, etc. Netting 400 calories after your run is just not enough to survive on.

You need more realistic goals. Many of us would be willing to help you set them.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Well it depends on how many calories you're going to eat in a day,

If you only eat 1500 in a day and burn 1500 a day I'd say you'll be dead in 2 months.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    theoretically that would mean you'd lose 3 pounds per week, but there's more to it than that. first off, unless you're eating perfectly with enough carbs and protein, and your body would have to utilize those carbs and protein just right without eating any more calories than usual - if you didn't eat enough or your body didn't store everything just right, you'd burn muscle, not fat or your glycogen stores with all the exercise. then your body would burn less calories overall and you'd end up gaining back the weight and being weaker.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    1500 calories of exercise is a ridiculous amount of exercising. That's way overkill.

To give you some perspective, I'm 5'2 (I was probably somewhere around 175-185 lbs) and when I hike 2-2.5 hours, the highest I've ever gotten is like a little over 900 calories burned.

Please keep in mind if you push your body too hard you're leaving yourself open to injury.

That's not even to go into the amount of calories you should be eating before and after exercising. If you're planning on exercising off 1500 calories, you need to be prepared to eat back those 1500 calories, otherwise you're going to leave you body malnourished.

Lastly, losing 22 lbs at your height and current weight will put you on the line of being underweight.

What you're suggesting (or at least it reads that way), you're going to end up in the hospital for malnutrition and/or with an injury.