Women's Athletic Shoes "Sneakers"

Hi:
I have been having a very hard time buying new Women's athletic shoes. I typically buy running shoes, although I don't run, but like the support.

I should add I do have some nerve sensitivity issues due to long term off/on sciatic pain for about 10 years. I had surgery about 5 years ago, and I am very fortunate that my neurosurgeon fixed my problem and my pain is gone, but the nerves are still finicky. Mostly in the arch in my right foot, where the damage was worse.

Brands I've tried are the usual, Brooks, Asics, Nike, New Balance and Saucony. My last sneakers were Avia (before they became a "Walmart" brand nothing against Walmart I shop there) and they were 9 wide.

I was curious if any one else had finicky feet and found some comfortable Women's athletic shoes. I'm open to any opinions about if I shoud maybe try a cross trainer or good walking shoe.

For my Cardio, I do Arc Trainer, LF Eliptical and use the treadmill or walk outside if that info helps.

Thank you very much for any feedback!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Skateboard shoes or Keds are comfortable for most people, and they're the most ergonomically correct for walking. Most athletic shoes on the market have a raised heel, which can worsen orthopedic issues. If the low-heeled shoes feel too firm, you can slip in a gel insole, like Spenco Comfort Insoles.

Does the arch pain hurt worse when you get out of bed in the morning?
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Because many brands are made in China, the sizes from one color to another, even in the same brand and style, can be incorrect. Sometimes I wear an 8 and sometimes I wear an 8 1/2 ... and sometimes I have to return the shoes.

I find that Nike fits me the best, but my trainer says that Puma and New Balance are best for Crossfit/Crosstraining.

If you run or walk, those sneakers only support a front to back motion. Crosstainings support for a front to back motion as well as side to side. Ask your podiatrist what to do.
  • NewCat2013
    NewCat2013 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks for the advice Cherimoose!

Oddly my arches don't hurt on a regular basis. When I try on sneakers is when my right arch hurts.

During the day, I wear Easy Spririt and on the weekends I wear Merrell. Most of my shoes are slides. I loved the LL Bean Comfort Slides but they don't make them right now.

I'll check out the shoes you mentioned.

Thank you for posting!
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    It's nigh on impossible to suggest a particular shoe without seeing your feet in person, as well as how you walk (eg. do you pronate?). Your best bet would be to go a proper running store and let the pros give you a hand. I have finicky feet as well (years of classical ballet is not kind to the feet), and after years of trial (and mostly error) on my own having a professional fitting was an absolute godsend. It's the same principle as trying to do a bra fitting without measuring, seeing the shape of the breast, etc.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    I've found that Salomon running and hiking shoes are the most comfortable for me, and I have high arches and feet that tend to get painful in most types of shoes. The thing is, shoe comfort is so individual I don't know if what works for others will work for you, OP.

My fiance's mother, who has really bad knees and a lot of other issues from doing hard physical work all her life, swears by Kalso Earth shoes, which have a "negative heel"-- the heel is a bit lower than the rest of the foot, which is apparently very comfortable for many people with foot, knee, and back problems. I think they make sneakers, as well as casual shoes. All the shoes look a bit strange, but for those who need them, they're worth it.
  • NewCat2013
    Thank you as well Mostly Water!

I did not think about the support advantage for cross trainers. There is a New Balance outlet an hour or so from where I live and was told they have a good selection.

Thank you for another option! I'll be busy this weekend!:laugh:
  • NewCat2013
    Thank you nam985!

I did go to a running shop nearby and they were really great and patient and HONEST! I spent about 90 minutes trying on shoes, the sales lady watching me walk. End result, I walked out empty handed as the sales lady was honest and told me she didn't like the way I walked in any of the ones I tried. She was really great, and took my name for a call list. I've been in a couple of times since but no luck.

BTW totally agree about the bra fitting! I am doing that next weekend! :bigsmile:
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    I have extreme pronation and wear custom orthotics and my orthotist recommended New Balance. I can't buy my shoes at a department store anymore so I now buy mine at Runner's Choice (I'm in Canada) since they have more knowledge as to what kind of shoe suits my needs.
  • NewCat2013
    :glasses: Thank you Linnaea27!

I will have to google the brands you mentioned! At this point, I am beyond caring what they look like as long as they fit well and are comfortable!
  • NewCat2013
    :happy: Thank you littlefoot! I work in a hosptial (administration not clinical I pass out at the sight of blood) and most of the doctors and staff wear either Dansko or New Balance. BTW I love Canada! I visited a couple times as a kid and have it on my "To go" list!
  • NewCat2013
    :flowerforyou: Oops my smiley for CheriMoose was dropped of so here it is!
  • Kelli0453
    Kelli0453 Posts: 8 Member
    I wear Skechers Go Walk. They're super comfy, light, and you can toss them in the washer/air dry them if they get dirty. The only downside I have found, is that small pebbles get caught in the tread easily and make that annoying scraping sound while walking.
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    I got some good insoles from fitness store. They were recommended to me by an orthopedist. They come in various arch supports and fit well in my socony (sp) running shoes.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    I think you're on the right track just trying on a million different types until one feels good on your arch...we can advise you til the cows come home, but until you actually have them on your feet and walk around, you won't know if they feel right. I've always been either a Saucony or Avia girl, but I have also always replaced the insoles with expensive form fitting ones...they have some you can put in the oven and heat them up, and you step in them in the shoe and they mold to your feet. You might want to try that route.

Good luck and don't settle...it's important to take care of our 'dogs'.
  • NewCat2013
    Thank you Tutu Mom! I've been contemplating insoles for a while. I still wonder if I just have sneaker prejudice feet. Congrats on the whopper weight loss! :drinker:
  • NewCat2013
    Thank you SRMAGGIEMAY! I've never heard of the insoles you mention, but it makes sense. Do you know the brand? :happy: