Stairclimber?

Options
Thinking about getting a stair climber for my house. I have bad shin splints so treadmills are a no-no, and I want a more intense workout than an elliptical. Anybody have thoughts on this? Advice? How well do they work? What is your burn when you use one?

Thanks! :bigsmile:

Replies

• dmfear
    dmfear Posts: 24
    Options
    I worked out on it today and it kicked my butt! I did it for 20 minutes and I burned 255 calories! Love it!
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use both at the gym...and the elliptical burns more calories than the stairclimber....just have to put the resistance up some....and you use your arms on the elliptical..30 mins on elliptical at level 5 at least = 400 calories....30 mins on stairclimber = about 300 +....I'm a big fan of the elliptical as you can see...and its lower impacting on your limbs...stairclimber is hard leg work out.....my two cents :)
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    just increase the resistance and incline of the eliptical- it burns more and it is more cardio..a stair climber is more muscle training
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    An Elliptical machine and a treadmill are both the exact same motion....the difference is, the elliptical removes the impact of the motion, making it a viable option for those with lower body injuries or joint problems.

a Stairclimber if used properly (I.e...NOT holding on to the side rails...especially with the weight bearing reverse grip you'll often see), is completely weight bearing and can give one of the highest intensity workouts around. (As far as machines go).

The more weight bearing the exercise, the more work you're doing since it takes more effort when any time you're lifting or moving your own body weight.

Any machine you choose is a matter of personal preference. Pick the one you're going to use the most and motivated on. :-)