okay okay enough is enough!

Options
This weekend was pretty bad ! I got my first reality check on how much calories are in some of the foods I love to eat! saturday was my daughter birthday. I ate 5 slice of pizza ( I know that was enough calories for the week) I also had a small piece of cake. Mother's day My Husband took me out for dinner and because of the 1 hour and 15 min wait I was starving!!!! so when it was time to order and any good choice that was in me went out the door! I had the FRIED seafood platter! ( that was enough Cal to last for the month) then Monday I went to Mcdonalds to get a SALAD, but my eyes caught wind of the angus burger with mushrooms and swiss cheese. well of course I had to have it with the med. fries and a small strawberry milk shake! well I ate it ( it was so good) but then the guilt set in!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! so I decide I would log in my meal and I was so darn shocked! the burger alone was 820 calories!!!!! you would think that I would have stopped there! nooooo yesterday for lunch I had a small broccoli pizza that didnt have a change to be shared or saved for later! I ate the whole thing! well today is a new day and I Have to do better!!! any suggestion on how not to over it and combat those temptations?:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This weekend was pretty bad ! I got my first reality check on how much calories are in some of the foods I love to eat! saturday was my daughter birthday. I ate 5 slice of pizza ( I know that was enough calories for the week) I also had a small piece of cake. Mother's day My Husband took me out for dinner and because of the 1 hour and 15 min wait I was starving!!!! so when it was time to order and any good choice that was in me went out the door! I had the FRIED seafood platter! ( that was enough Cal to last for the month) then Monday I went to Mcdonalds to get a SALAD, but my eyes caught wind of the angus burger with mushrooms and swiss cheese. well of course I had to have it with the med. fries and a small strawberry milk shake! well I ate it ( it was so good) but then the guilt set in!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!! so I decide I would log in my meal and I was so darn shocked! the burger alone was 820 calories!!!!! you would think that I would have stopped there! nooooo yesterday for lunch I had a small broccoli pizza that didnt have a change to be shared or saved for later! I ate the whole thing! well today is a new day and I Have to do better!!! any suggestion on how not to over it and combat those temptations?:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    For me, it took 2 things to really get me determined to change my eating habits and get healthy--

First, about three months ago I threw my back out by simply getting up from my chair. I was stuck in bed for over a week pretty much unable to move. It took a few weeks before I was feeling 100% again. The doctor told me I could expect more problems in the future unless I lost some of my weight.

Second, I'm diabetic and seeing a couple people I know that are not that much older than me and about my weight and also diabetic begin to have kidney problems and talking about dialysis--that scared the you-know-what out of me.

That was the final straw! I realized that no food, no matter how good, was worth having back problems or being on dialysis in a few years if I didn't get my diabetes under control.

When you sit down and begin to think about the serious health complications you are bringing on your body by overeating, unhealthy eating, binge eating, etc. then no food will ever again seem worth it. Talk to a few people who have serious health issues due to weight--that will change you mind when you realize it could be you in a few years :ohwell:
  • romywill
    romywill Posts: 42
    Options
    I have started to break my days into increments - trying to do good each increment - I have 3 increments - 8:00 to 12:00 (morning) 12:01 - 4:00 (afternoon) and 4:01 until whenever (night). If I eat too much during one increment - I just do better with the next increment. Don't stress about yesterday or tomorrow. Otherwise you keep beating yourself up and you will quit alltogether soon. Hang in there and don't fret. It is over - today is a new day!!!!

Romy
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I think it is really important to think why we want to get the weight off. I have been jo joing for so long my body was all messed up. I'm turning 50 in February and I want to be able to fly without an extender on my belt, without people making rude remarks behind my back and without having to buy my clothes from the tent section. It's a lot about your mental picture also , for a while even the mentioning of diet made me feel like I was starving:grumble: . Now I look at it a different way. If I want to go out and eat I save my calories during the day and then I go for the good choice( and yes I like the swiss and mushroom burger too:wink: ) There is a website that makes all those rich foods slim down to a healthy size : www.hungrygirl.com I'm going to try the chickenstrips and onionrings here soon.
    So think about the prize at the end of the road and plan ahead ( mabe taking your lunch to work or looking up on the PC how many calories that temptation really has)
    I wish you good luck
  • Caramel Cutie
    Options
    I feel you, Nikki! Tell you what you do: go to a Frederick's of Hollywood or Victoria's Secret and invest in a sexy piece of lingerie--and buy it 2 sizes too small! :wink: Every time you are tempted by those devilish foods :devil: just think of how fabulous you want to look in your lingerie! :tongue: And when in a drive through thinking of fresh french fries, and juicy angus burgers...think of CHICKEN! Just replacing the angus burger with a grilled chicken sandwich with fresh tomatoes, lettuce and MUSTARD will cut out about 450 calories---thereby allowing you a little wiggle room on a SMALL fry! But, baby steps!!!! :happy: You can do it! And, girlfriend, I've had to get used to cutting regular sodas out of my diet---it takes some getting used to, but it will save your blood sugar and still give you that FIZZY feel to your drink! Here's to your success!:drinker: And post a picture of you in your lingerie when you've met your goal!!! :wink:
  • amy_ryan
    amy_ryan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It gets easier over time not to eat too much of those "tempting" foods. As you eat better and exercise, your body starts reacting poorly to really greasy, fatty foods (if it is not already) and the way you feel after eating them--physically and mentally--will make them far less tempting. This is not to say I avoid such things altogether. (If I didn't love to eat, I wouldn't be here!) As another poster said, find healthier substitutes for the foods you love. For me, it's pizza. I actually like Lean Cuisine and South Beach pizzas, so they offer me a satisfying alternative and force me to control portions. But some things I try to mostly steer clear of, because I cannot exercise portion control...say, chips and salsa. If all else fails, give yourself a cheat day once in a while if that is what it takes to keep you on track over the long haul. Best of luck!
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Something made you want to sign up here for the support and help in losing weight. Ask yourself why you are trying to sabotage your own good intentions. Think of the reasons you found this site in the first place and try to keep them in your mind as much as possible. It's hard to change old habits, but you can do it if you really try. Good luck. There are many people here who know exactly what you are going through.:smile:
  • nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys I guess I needed a Reminder on why I am doing this and why I joined this site! My stomach was not to happy about this weekend :sick: :sick: but as for today so far so good. had my oatmeal and banana for breakfast. for snack I just had 5 whole wheat ritz crackers with a wedge of laughing cow cheese with a apple! yummy!
    I just got my HG cook book and cant wait to try some of the recipes! thank Ya again! :drinker: :smooched:
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    The best way I have found is to plan EVERY meal. Sometimes you can't if you are going out to eat or over to a friend's house for the meal... but what you can control is the AMOUNT you eat. If you aren't cooking... look at what is on your plate... measure amounts... your "protein" should equal the palm of your hand... don't clean your plate... take some home.... share a plate with a friend.

I am always thinking about what I'm going to eat... from breakfast to snacks. If I know that I'm going to have a high calorie meal for dinner I eat a salad for lunch... or plan to workout twice as long to make up for it.... but don't make a habit of this! Don't "scrimp" for calories from other meals because you'll lapse into bad habits again!

Log everything.. once you see it in numbers... the motivation will be there and you'll find yourself wanting to work out EVERY DAY to keep your progress going.

Don't scarf your food if you're hungry. Take breaks... sip your drink. When you're stressed, drink some herbal tea... don't nibble. Plan healthier snacks.. fruit, 100 cal packs, etc. Good luck! The best thing to remember is this is NOT a diet.... its a lifestyle change.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I think someone else mentioned itm but i plan every meal before I leave my house, even snacks. i do 3 snacks and 3 meals a day . Some days i go over if I don't plan properly. I keep things on hand and in ziplocs so i can grab and go and not have to put too much effort into it when I'm in a hurry. I have a big square rubber maid container that i put all of my ziplocked individual sized fruits and veggies in, I cut and bag on Sundays for the whole week, same whit wheat crackers, cereal, croutons(a must for my salads:laugh: ) When I'm late or in a hurry i don't have to think too much about it. I used to eat fast food every day sometimes 2 times a day. I started to break myself of that habit int the beginning by saying I'll only go to Subway or I'm ordering off the light menu, etc. Then gradually weaned myself off of it, now I'm such a cheapskate I hate spending the $ on eating out, I'd much rather save that money and buy shoes:bigsmile:
    On Mother's Day I had KFC, my Mom's choice, it put me way over and I fetl horrible, physically and mentally, then I was like, to heck with it, I'm not beating myself up over a piece of chicken!!!! The nice thing about each day is eventually it's over and you have the opportunity to start over again:flowerforyou:
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Did you read Banks post on Willpower today? It was very though provoking.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/13618-the-dying-art-of-will-power