Who you admire?

Options

Replies

• Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I admire all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons. Moms who are raising children on their own because of the death of a spouse; soldiers; dads who fight for custody when exes threaten to never let them see their kids; people with disabilities who strive to be stronger, smarter, faster than doctors tell them they can; people who stand up to injustice; people who discipline their children when they throw tantrums instead of giving in so people won't stare; people who go to work day in and day out for little money because they believe in the work they are doing; people who face harsh criticism for either past mistakes or because of rumors and just keep going with their heads held high.

I could go on. It's one thing to admire someone famous, but many people face some sort of struggle that is worthy of admiration.
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, at the moment I admire my 14 year old son. He will be leaving to military school in 10 days. When he was about 10 years old we were in a town with a military academy and he saw all the kids in uniform and wanted that for himself. He tested a couple of months ago and scored so high that he will start taking senior classes in his freshman year. He is in line to graduate highschool with an associates degree. He doesn't have to, but he wants to. He wants to be a naval aviator. And he's going to do it, with no pressure from anyone but himself. It amazies me when I think back at who I was when I was 14.
  • ELMunque
    ELMunque Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I admire all sorts of people for all sorts of reasons. Moms who are raising children on their own because of the death of a spouse; soldiers; dads who fight for custody when exes threaten to never let them see their kids; people with disabilities who strive to be stronger, smarter, faster than doctors tell them they can; people who stand up to injustice; people who discipline their children when they throw tantrums instead of giving in so people won't stare; people who go to work day in and day out for little money because they believe in the work they are doing; people who face harsh criticism for either past mistakes or because of rumors and just keep going with their heads held high.

I could go on. It's one thing to admire someone famous, but many people face some sort of struggle that is worthy of admiration.

Beautifully said.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    My wife. Gotta give the person who has put up with me all these years some credit.
    ^^^^This

You admire his wife?
  • amethyst7986
    amethyst7986 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My daughter-- she has struggled in school due to her Dyslexia and other Learning Disabilities yet she wakes up everyday with a smile on her face ready to learn! She never gives up and always strives to be her best!

My mom-- she has always supported us no matter what the circumstances, she may not agree with what we are doing in our lives or the choices we have made but she makes sure we are happy. She doesn't judge or allow others to judge us for any of the poor choices we have made, she finds the good in everyone and every thing.

My sister-- she is a survivor of domestic violence and yet never lets fear stand in her way. She like my daughter, wakes up every morning ready to take on the day and makes the best of it. Even the day after brain surgery due to a violent attack, she smiled and said, "im here for another day, still breathing"

These women leave me in awe everyday!
  • Crimson_Fire
    Crimson_Fire Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    I admire many of my family members & friends.

But today...I'm admiring my patients. Some are a great example of perserverance, willpower and determination. When they feel like fighting on some of the worse days possible, it makes me realize that we're all a lot stronger than we think we are. Every day they teach me something new about myself and others. :heart:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I admire people that do the very hard work of reporting violence to the police and testifying against someone that is or was a family member. I know how hard that is, and I know how much it helps others. And I know what it is like to do it alone. Especially when it is a long time later, to realize it needs to be done, and to do it knowing how difficult it is going to be, and having overcome all of the things they needed to getting to that point. I know it is very difficult. I admire them for reaching that point and doing it because it really does help so many other people. And the more people that come forward, the better.

I also admire the police and prosecutors that take the difficult cases.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options

This is exactly perfect. :flowerforyou:
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    And my mom for raising me on her own. And my wife for putting up with me. And my boys, each one for their own reasons. Overcoming obstacles, not the least of which is one crazy dad.
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I admire my Mother who after being a housewife for 20 years, divorced my dad and had to do something to support us. She had no career and managed to build herself up to a highly respected loan officer in the mortgage industry. She passed away in 2008, but I think of her daily. It was her death that served as a wake up call for me to get healthy as well.

I admire my MFP friends who inspire me on a daily basis. Those result pictures give me something to strive for. In a lot of ways, its one of the reasons I'm still at this whole fitness thing. I may have quit a long time ago.

I admire the inventor of peanut butter. Enough said.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    my mom is a *kitten* saint and no one is truly good enough to be in her presence

thank satan she is my mother or I would of been dead a long time ago
  • LifeOfBrian78
    LifeOfBrian78 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    my mom is a *kitten* saint and no one is truly good enough to be in her presence

gif-summer-484839.gif
  • DBoone85
    DBoone85 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Is satan your daddy?
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Well this just got awkward.....
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My daughter-- she has struggled in school due to her Dyslexia and other Learning Disabilities yet she wakes up everyday with a smile on her face ready to learn! She never gives up and always strives to be her best!

My mom-- she has always supported us no matter what the circumstances, she may not agree with what we are doing in our lives or the choices we have made but she makes sure we are happy. She doesn't judge or allow others to judge us for any of the poor choices we have made, she finds the good in everyone and every thing.

My sister-- she is a survivor of domestic violence and yet never lets fear stand in her way. She like my daughter, wakes up every morning ready to take on the day and makes the best of it. Even the day after brain surgery due to a violent attack, she smiled and said, "im here for another day, still breathing"

These women leave me in awe everyday!

:heart:
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Hardcore, Internet, counter-culturalists!
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options

110aj3k.png
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    These past few days I've had a growing admiration for Dr. Robert Lustig. He went and got a medical degree, worked in his field, saw a major problem unfolding, realized he wanted to do something about it, so went and got a Masters in Law to advocate that way while drumming up bottom up support with lectures.

He could have just practiced in his field, played golf on the side, and retired to a quiet life. He could have said this is impossible to fix, I give up, and gone off to brood. He could have made millions selling Lustig's Magic Weight Loss Pills. But he didn't. He's fighting to change food policy and encouraging everyone to eat real food.

Makes me rethink the whole premise that one person can't change anything. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe one person can.
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    It's interesting we admire. Some of the people closest to us whose struggles we know