Jogging, weather and sleep

Options
Okay I know I'm opening myself up to sheer heck from posting this on the forums. But I'm still going to put it out there to see if there are people like me and not just "well I' just do it" types of responses. Wish me luck. ;)

Back in HS, I ran the 2 mile. Not well or anthing but I've always been the plow horse endurance type. That means I can go for a long time just kindof plodding along. At my best, my 2 mile was down to 14:26 which was awesome to me. I used to enjoy running a lot. You get done, you feel exhausted but accomplished. For me, it's an amazing feeling.

So back when I lost weight, I started C25K and did a couple few mud runs and enjoyed the heck out of them. I was also training on a treadmill. That sucked because my pace was so darned slow. Fast forward through the whole "forget this" phase and me getting fat again blah blah blah.

Okay so since January I've lost 40lbs which brings me to this post. I've been busting my *kitten* in power yoga (ever seen your ankles sweat and a Marine cry?? Yeah these classes do it to you). I've also been walking the parking lot/lake at work. I've been frustraited that I've only been gettin 3.5mph since I feel lighter and what not.

For S&G, I've been flirting with taking up jogging again. With the 35 minutes I got in tonight, I managed to log a 12 minute mile jogging. I wasn't able to do a full mile with it but over all, yeah the jogging time was over a mile so that is a massive improvement in both physical fitness and um, mentally. Now that I know I can do it, it brings me to my next obstical.

We're hitting warmer weather and what not. I know morning are the best time this time of year to run but yeah, I am a sleeper. If you were to make me pick out a hobby, I'd say sleep with out any kidding. Rip Van Winkle and Sleeping Beauty make me envious. The idea of waking up before I have to is an awesome goal but, I am being honest as heck here, won't happen. It's also why I stick to yoga after work. And to be even more honest, it's one heck of a fight to make sure I do this since I'd rather come home and nap for an hour or two. Yes I know that's pathetic but hey, it happens.

So since this sleep thing has it's spell over me, talk to me about warm weather/high humidity options for getting back into running/jogging thing. Should I just wait until 8ish when it's generally cooler? I don't have a ton of money to toss out for a camelpak so I generally have always jogged with a water bottle in hand and my phone in the other. Are there any other tips I need to know about that have happened since the 90's?

Thanks for hanging in there and yeah, I know I'm lazy. You don't have to remind me of it. ;)

Replies

• Odinisgod
    Odinisgod Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and jog outside in the summer.

Trick is to wear sweat wicking clothes (no cotton), and stay out of the sun. Ideally I try to wait until it's in the low 90s, no earlier than 15 minutes before sunset, and try to be back before it gets too dark.

It's not ideal, but it works.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I live in Texas and jog outside in the summer.

Trick is to wear sweat wicking clothes (no cotton), and stay out of the sun. Ideally I try to wait until it's in the low 90s, no earlier than 15 minutes before sunset, and try to be back before it gets too dark.

It's not ideal, but it works.

Thank you!! This gives me something to aim for and I appreciate it!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i used to live in NYC and when i'd run in the summer the only time i had was essentially mid day. some things i'd do :

- make sure to hydrate several hours before going out. if you're waiting to do during the workout, it's too late
    - keep several ice cubes in a plastic bag in the freezer and before i went out i'd put the bag inside my hat and on top of my head. ok it's very weird but this really helped me say cool PLUS i had the added benefit of getting some cool water drip down my back :laugh:
    -run with a baseball cap. this was good because it helped shield the sun and keep sweat from pouring into my eyes
    - moisture wicking everything
    - running commando :glasses:
    - taking note of all the water fountains on my course and stopping by each one
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I'm working nights, and come home to sleep right away - 0800 or so. When I wake up, I can have coffee, relax, cook supper, and do my exercise before sundown. I have a free, simple app that tells the times of sunrise, sunset, and last light. Good luck to you!
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Texas, I would finish my run by 7am... Now we've established that's not an option for you :tongue: so, I'd wait till the temperature cools off before going for a run. I have noticed that I always have a better, faster, longer, more enjoyable run with lower temperature, but some people are indifferent to weather conditions.

As other mentioned, wicking clothes, ice cubes, hydration before, during, and after are your friends. But how about I throw a challenge at you? Pick one day when you do wake up early and go for a run :bigsmile: Just once, see how you like it...or dislike it.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Heh so did try it this morning. Went much better than the other days (was able to do the free run section with out walking). We'll see how getting through the work day goes as I already want a nap and it's only a quarter til 9. ;)

Thanks again for all your advice!!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I have to get up at 5:30 M-F for work, just to get to work on time. I refuse to get up any earlier so I can work out. So, I run 2 nights a week at the gym, do strength training 2-3 nights a week and then try to get at least one weekend run in, either Saturday morning or Sunday morning, or both. But I also treasure my sleep on the weekends, and once it hits 8-9 AM, it gets super warm and humid here in NC. I really much prefer to run outside, because to me it's so much less boring than running on a treadmill, plus I like to take my dog with me for company. So, basically, I punish myself if I decide to sleep in rather than get up on the weekend and make myself run on the treadmill. But there are some mornings where it is totally worth running on the dreadmill!

I wanted to add, some people don't mind the heat and humidity at all. I see people around here running in the middle of the day on days when it's in the mid 90s and high humidity. I think they are nuts. I am sure they think I am lazy. LOL
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    100% on the wicking clothes
    I usually run at 5:30 am but if for some reason I cannot I'll wait until around 7:00 pm. If I can only get my run in during the hotest hours of the day, I'll go down to the greenway where 99% of the run is shaded so keep the sun off.
    I hydrate like crazy. I don't like to wear a hat, but I do wear a hairband to keep the sweat out of my eyes.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Good topic! I just signed up for a half marathon in the fall and part of the reason was to force myself into running in the mornings. I'm in Texas and I figured out that even running during sunset is rough. The pavement is warm from the sun shining on it all day so the heat is coming from above and below. I also do better running on an empty or almost-empty stomach so dinner kind of interferes with running at night.

My training schedule includes 3 runs per week (tues, thurs, saturday or sunday). This past week, I ran tuesday and thursday in the morning before work for the first time. I am like you...I LOVE my sleep and I hate getting up early in the morning. I went out at 6am and finished by 6:40 (sunrise is at 6:30) and it was honestly so nice. It's humid in the morning but you don't have the sun beating down on you which is the worst part for me. After my run I drink an electrolyte tab (Nuun tabs) in 16oz of water to ward off those lovely dehydration headaches and I'm good to go. Plus my whole night is free to relax after work! I also like having the time to cook a nice healthy dinner for the bf and I and not have to worry about when I'm working out/when to cook dinner or if he'll have to cook, etc.

I normally get up at 6:30 so 6:00 wasn't a huge change for me. I have less time to sit around and drink coffee but I use that time to "wake up" and a run definitely does the trick. Just try it for one day and compare it to a night time run and see what works better for ya. :)
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    1. I love to sleep. SO much that my kid actually wrote that on one of his mother's day activities when the paper asked what his mom likes.

2. I like to run

3. I dont want to be fat

So I run after work. Like 8pm-ish. On weekends a little earlier since i don't have to work and rush home to take care of my kids. It works for me for now. I do want to try to switch to mornings. We will see. Just because I have about an hour and half in the mornings before I have to go to work after the kids get on the bus and this would be perfect. But so is sleep.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    There are times I seek out the hot and humid weather to run, and times I avoid it.

There are times when I WANT to get out in the sun, into that heat, into that humidty and just run and sweat and just suffer through it all.

Then there are times i avoid it and go later at night when I want to get a much faster run in.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    with the hot weather......Sorry, I just do it :-)

Regarding your sleep, are you sure you are lazy? I wonder about your bed. My brother used to spend 12-14 hours a day in bed and hated getting up. He purchased a new bed (his was OOOOLLLDD) and it made a huge difference. He began sleeping 6-7 hours and waking up ready to tackle the day. He also dropped a lot of weight (100+) after doing this. Just a thought!