Best weights for beginners

Options
Lian98
Lian98 Posts: 275 Member
I am beginning my weightlifting routine and since I am gonna start small, I bought 3lbs weights today. I read that even once they are light they are great for stretching and toning (through weighted pilates moves). How many pounds should I add to my weights as I get stronger? Is this a good plan? I know I am starting really slow, but I want to make this a long term thing so I don't want rush my muscles. Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• nlcs_nickyv32
    Options
    In my opinion nothing beats workouts with an Barbell. But because you are starting I would buy adjustable dumbbells. Adjustable gives you room to increase. But I would wait til you can handle 5 lbs with no problem because the min weight on some of these is something like 7lbs per hand.

The good thing is that there is a lot of exercises you can do with just dumbbells. Also resistance bands are also really good, but if you go that route, try to get some that can be mounted on doors. When it is mounted on the door there are some more exercises you can do as well.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm using my 8 inch Samsung tablet to answer your question. It weighs 3 pounds, yet I'd bet that you would never consider holding it to be a good workout. You would never say that this tablet is gonna get you all toned and stretched. So...why would a dumbbell that weighs the same as my tablet do those things?

Buy and read New Rules of Lifting. Or for free go to the Stronglifts website. It's all there for you. I can't figure out what "not rushing muscles" even means. Seriously, go check out one or both of those options
  • projhex
    projhex Posts: 23
    Options
    I am beginning my weightlifting routine and since I am gonna start small, I bought 3lbs weights today. I read that even once they are light they are great for stretching and toning (through weighted pilates moves). How many pounds should I add to my weights as I get stronger? Is this a good plan? I know I am starting really slow, but I want to make this a long term thing so I don't want rush my muscles. Thanks in advance :-)

Get the idea of "toning" out of your head. What is tone? When muscle shows through the fat.

You need to do two things: 1) lose fat 2) build muscle. You're not going to build muscle with 3 pound weights. As the other commenter said, if you're serious, you should be lifting serious weight. Adjustable dumbbells at least (that go up to 50 pounds) or a barbell setup.

You should look into a beginners weightlifting program such as Starting Strength or Stronglifts, which you can find via Google.

There is no such thing as rushing your muscles. If you're weak, so be it, you won't be for long if you do things right.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I recommend you buy the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's on Amazon.

It is full of great information for beginners, and dispels a lot of myths out there. There is also a weight training program you can follow inside, and explains how to do every exercise in detail.

Edited to add: I went through the program myself, and got great physical results.
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just play it by how I feel. I always push myself so that if I'm doing 10 reps I can do the first few easily but by 8 I'm really pushing myself. I considered myself pretty weak and started with 10 lbs, then 15, then 20.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    stretching with a hand weight.. now i've heard it all.

strong lifts, starting strength, strong curves or new rules of lifting for women..check those out and leave those 3 pound weights to the women who are OK with developping osteoporosis in their latter years
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options

the weight that make harder to complete your reps!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

No. No type of weight--light or heavy-- will stretch any muscle to a new shape, and they certainly won't "tone" as that is a made-up word which is really code for "lean".

To get achieve your preferred level of leanness, lift weights as heavy as you can. Unfortunately those 3 pound weights will do exactly nothing for you. (Think about it: if 3 pound weights did anything productive, then every woman who carries a large handbag, or owns a lap cat or small dog who likes to be carried would have lean, strong arms.) Can you return them, or exchange them for a heavier weight? You need to be lifting as heavy as you can manage while still maintaining good form.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is not the only option for beginning. Body weight exercises require minimal equipment and work quite well for "starting slow".

Try out "Convict Conditioning" "You Are Your Own Gym" and/or http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You can always use those 3lb weights as door stops :)
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Lift weights that challenge you, OP.

3 lbs might be a challenge for my cat, but that's just because he doesn't have thumbs.