How do you like your daikon?

Options
My husband's co-worker just gave us two huge daikon radishes. We have two recipes - slice it up and marinate in vinegar, or shred it up, soak in soy sauce, and eat with rice. I was curious to see if anyone on MFP had a good daikon recipe. How do you like to prepare daikon?

Replies

• numberscolors
    Options
    yum, i love daikon.

you can make kim chee!
    http://wanderingchopsticks.blogspot.com/2008/01/ggakdugi-korean-pickled-radish-daikon.html

or pan-dry them in a little bit of sesame oil:
    http://www.opensourcefood.com/people/cpalmieri/recipes/pan-fried-daikon-slices

i like v. thin slices wrapped around grilled meat. yummy.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    if you aren't up to making kimchee, you can slice very thin (like w/ a mandolin), soak the slices in ice water to crisp them up, and use them as 'crackers' for a nice olive tapenade.

If you go ahead and pickle it, you could also prepare some carrots too and eat as a side or on homemade banh mi.

Enjoy!
  • NocteLibri
    NocteLibri Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am trying it shredded in a simple salad w/lettuce, mushrooms, onion and cucumber. Comes in pretty low in calories, so I am added some mozarella cheese (for protein) and raisins as a kind of dessert-like treat =D
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,628 Member
    Options
    I make chinese turnip cake (lo bak gao) or roast like any other root vegetable pictured here roasted with cherry tomatoes. The Chinese turnip cake can be cooked in a low microwave instead of steaming for an hour.
    7mp6xzwdnbx9.jpeg
    2jqixmnjqc6x.jpeg
  • daweezer
    daweezer Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Use it like you would a potato…. Gently fried in skillet/ air fryer/ mashed. Lots of good nutrition ….
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,628 Member
    Options
    I made some more Chinese turnip cake. Ignore the instructions in recipes to steam for an hour in the wok. Put the turnip and rice flour batter in a tupperware style container, seal loosely and microwave 20 minutes or so on medium until a toothpick comes out clean in the centre.
    ckrvzquiqj4l.jpeg