Craaaving Chinese. Any Low Cal/Fat recipes?

tacey21
tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I'm craving Chinese food...
Does anyone have any healthy versions of Chinese food i can make at home?

I love lo mein. And schezwan.

And veggies and brown rice dont count as Chinese food.:grumble:

While I wait for replies... I'm going to cook a spaghetti squash and pretend i can use that as noodles...

Replies

• YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Me too. I would just plan to have some tomorrow and work it into your calorie goals and exercise if needed. Going over one day won't be that big of deal in the long run; just don't start binging.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    I have not tried any of these - but they are from a site that I use often.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_chinese_recipes?quicktabs_1=2
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    weight watchers sells a sliced medium cheddar that is only 40 calories per slice - I love it.
  • Im a big fan of steamed chicken with garlic sauce on the side. I dont know how to make it so i just order the sauce from the local takeout place. I find this way i have the right flavor to satisfy my craving but my food isnt swimming in there sauce which cuts down on the calories alot.

The perdues fit and easy cutlets are trimmed already for you and only 80 calories each. steam them or bake them on a pan with a rack .

you can always make a fast stirfry also. your fav veggies some basic chicken stock, reduced sodium soy sauce and i have a bottle chinese stirfry sauce from my local grocery store which i really like. I also like to through some pineapple in there for some sweetness the healthy way rather that duck sauce.
    serve that over you spagetti squash or use whole wheat cappalini .
  • tacey21
    tacey21 Posts: 73 Member
    Lessons learned:
    Spaghetti squash is NOT an adequate substitute for rice noodles.
    Brown sauce makes everything better.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Here's a link to my chicken stir-fry recipe:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/128671-dinner-for-under-600-calories

You can make adjustments to the sauce to adapt to your tastes. This one really satifies my chinese craving.

I hope you enjoy.

Good luck.
    ~S

You know it would just be easier for you if I reposted it... here you go...

Here is my stir-fry recipe. I cook mine in a wok, but you could probably use a large / deep fry pan, as long as it has a lid.

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them for you.

INGREDIENTS CALORIES CARBS FAT PROTEIN
    Tyson - 100% All Natural Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Tenderloins, 24.1 oz.
    Kc Masterpiece - Marinade - Honey Teriyaki W/Sesame, 7 Tbsp. (15ml)
    Reese - Water Chestnuts - Sliced, 1 Can (113g)
    White Onion - Raw, 7 oz (about 1/2 of a large onion)
    Generic - Garlic Raw Clove, 1 raw clove (3g)
    Meijer - Triple Washed Sliced Mushrooms, 8 oz
    Broccoli - Raw, 317 g (8 oz)
    Pearson - Bean Sprouts, 8 oz
    Kirkland Signature - Extra Virgin Olive Oil,4 Tbsp (15 ml)
    Add Ingredient

Total cal: 1740 Makes about 12 cups.
    Per 1 cup Serving : 145 calories not including the rice

Chicken tenderloin, cubed and marinated in the honey teriyaki sauce for at least 1/2 an hour.
    one garlic clove
    1/2 white onion, cut in large peices
    mushrooms (pre-sliced)
    Put all ingrediants above in pre-heated wok in EVOO (olive oil)

After chicken is cooked add the following around the side to steam, cover for about 5 minutes
    broccoli in small florets
    one can of sliced water chestnuts (drained)
    one 8 oz bag of bean sprouts

You can really add or subtract any veggies you like. Sometimes I add pea pods, but my hubby doesn't like them so I don't add often.

Serve over brown rice or chow mein noodles

~edited to add recipe~
  • I like to buy the walmart great value brand broccoli or snap pea stir fry fozen bags and throw some leftover baked chicken in it. And the Van brand egg rolls at walmart are pretty good. The vegetable ones are only 100 cals a piece. I love chinese food so I have this dinner about 1-2 times a week and it satisfies my craving!
  • I think I make a pretty healthy stir fry. Just go really heavy on the veggies (I like broccoli, carrot, mushrooms...anything works) and sautee them in a pan with a little soy sauce, garlic powder to taste, some fresh ginger if you like, maybe a bit of dry mustard, maybe a bit of sriracha if you like it hot (or red pepper flakes), and a tad of brown sugar. You can also add rice vinegar. Then put it over brown rice. The trick, I think, is to go really easy on the rice and heavy on the veggies!
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    I love Morningstar garden veggie patty it goes really well with the terriyaki/or sweet&sour sauce,lots of spices esp garlic,lots of veggies-red/yellow/green bell pepper slices,or corn,mushrooms,I do use rice but if you control your portion and need noodles do it.If you want a great chicken substitute try Quorn cutlets.Also try to avoid frying anything-steam,eat raw,or grill,or bake.Oh and I put pineapples in my sweet in sour mmm...good luck!
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Here's a link to my chicken stir-fry recipe:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/128671-dinner-for-under-600-calories

You can make adjustments to the sauce to adapt to your tastes. This one really satifies my chinese craving.

I hope you enjoy.

You know it would just be easier for you if I reposted it... here you go...

Here is my stir-fry recipe. I cook mine in a wok, but you could probably use a large / deep fry pan, as long as it has a lid.

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them for you.

INGREDIENTS CALORIES CARBS FAT PROTEIN
    Tyson - 100% All Natural Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Tenderloins, 24.1 oz.
    Kc Masterpiece - Marinade - Honey Teriyaki W/Sesame, 7 Tbsp. (15ml)
    Reese - Water Chestnuts - Sliced, 1 Can (113g)
    White Onion - Raw, 7 oz (about 1/2 of a large onion)
    Generic - Garlic Raw Clove, 1 raw clove (3g)
    Meijer - Triple Washed Sliced Mushrooms, 8 oz
    Broccoli - Raw, 317 g (8 oz)
    Pearson - Bean Sprouts, 8 oz
    Kirkland Signature - Extra Virgin Olive Oil,4 Tbsp (15 ml)
    Add Ingredient

Total cal: 1740 Makes about 12 cups.
    Per 1 cup Serving : 145 calories not including the rice

Chicken tenderloin, cubed and marinated in the honey teriyaki sauce for at least 1/2 an hour.
    one garlic clove
    1/2 white onion, cut in large peices
    mushrooms (pre-sliced)
    Put all ingrediants above in pre-heated wok in EVOO (olive oil)

After chicken is cooked add the following around the side to steam, cover for about 5 minutes
    broccoli in small florets
    one can of sliced water chestnuts (drained)
    one 8 oz bag of bean sprouts

You can really add or subtract any veggies you like. Sometimes I add pea pods, but my hubby doesn't like them so I don't add often.

Serve over brown rice or chow mein noodles

~edited to add recipe~

Sounds good YUM!
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 171 Member
    Try my Spict Tomato & Prawn...you can change the prawn for chicken if you dont like it. Its quick and easy :?-) x
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    I make Chinese at home all the time... its easy... but when I'm craving REAL Chinese, I go to my fave place and just order everything steamed with the sauce on the side. I've found that just using a TINY bit of the sauce gives you all the flavor you need, without so much SODIUM!!! I usually get the Shrimp with Mixed Veggies steamed, with steamed rice. It's YUMMY!
  • crystallayne
    crystallayne Posts: 109 Member
    Here's one for Pork Lo Mein!

12 oz boneless pork loin
    10 oz multi grain spaghetti noodles or soba noodles
    1/4 cup bottled oyster sauce
    1/4 cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
    1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    2 teaspoons sesame oil
    1 tablespoon chopped ginger
    1 medium red onion thinly sliced
    8 oz fresh mushrooms sliced
    2 cups snap peas

cut pork into bite size pieces.

cook noodles according to package. Drain and set aside.

Combine oyster sauce, teriyaki and broth. set aside

in wok or non-stick skillet combine sesame oil and canola oil on medium high heat.

add ginger for about 15 seconds, then onion for 2 mins, next mushrooms for 2 min, then snap peas for 1 min.

remove veggies and keep warm.

add pork and stir-fry for approximately 3 min or until jucies run clear.

Add noodles, veggies, and sauce cook for another 3-4 min or until heated through.

Makes 6 servings, 331 calories ea. 41g carbs and 24g protien.

Hope you like it!

Crystal
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    aldi has an AMAZING frozen shrimp lo mein, loads of shrimp yummy veggies and noodles about 200 cals per serving and its a good sized serving 1/4 the bag
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love chinese food as well!!!!

Here, try this, its how I do it.

Buy the Wanchai Ferry frozen chinese food dinners. (They're DELICIOUS the way they come, but I modify them)

I get the beef & broccoli, or the sweet & sour chicken.. any one of them really.. whatever you like.

I use the veggies and the sauce. Its not bad for calories or fat, it will just kill you in carbs because of the white rice.. so I toss the white rice and substitute brown rice, and wa-la. It taste EXACTLY like chinese takeout without that gross feeling of "OMG I ate too much" and you totally feel like you cheated on your diet. lol.

It satisfys my craving for chinese and I am beyond picky with food. Its not like them bottles of asian inspired sauce or food that doesnt come close to chinese food. haha. See if they have them in your grocery store and ENJOY!
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    ><<<<<<Bump>>>>>< :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Lots of great ideas here - thanks! :love:
  • lindseyelyzabeth
    lindseyelyzabeth Posts: 33 Member
    i recently posted a recipe for pad thai! while it's not exactly chinese, the asian flare might help your craving! :)
This discussion has been closed.