Calories burned?

nmhawkins
nmhawkins Posts: 19 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
HI, I have been slowly starting to work out, and I am not sure how accurate the calories burned estimates are on here. When I ride the recumbent bike for 20 minutes it will say I only burned like 70 cals, but when I put it in to MFP...it says like 299 cals burned. Anyone know how accurate the estimates are? Any good way of determing what is burned? I try not to eat my burned cals because I have a long way to go...but I would like like to know for my own OCD piece of mind.

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Seventy calroies for a 20 minute workout does seem really low, even if you're taking it easy. I'd lean more towards the MFP estimate in this case, but if you want to get really accurate, you may want to consider getting a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor). There are a lot of good ones out there and Polar seems to be a pretty good brand. I just got one for myself this week and love that I can put my trust in it rather than in the estimates here.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    HI, I have been slowly starting to work out, and I am not sure how accurate the calories burned estimates are on here. When I ride the recumbent bike for 20 minutes it will say I only burned like 70 cals, but when I put it in to MFP...it says like 299 cals burned. Anyone know how accurate the estimates are? Any good way of determing what is burned? I try not to eat my burned cals because I have a long way to go...but I would like like to know for my own OCD piece of mind.

If you have a Nordic trac bike, the calorie burn is calculated for a185 lb male - no idea why. try using the machines heart rate monitor to get an average of your heart rate. Use the following calculator to determine your caloric burn http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

Vickie
This discussion has been closed.