Exercising question

Options
When you log your exercise time in MFP, do you put in the total time you exercised? Or just the time you were actually working? For example, lets say I was running for 60 seconds, then walk 30 seconds, back and forth for 20 minutes, would I log 20 minutes or 15?

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I log the 20 min. I also wear a heart rate monitor so that I can log the exact amount of calories burned.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If I was alternating between walking and running, I would just try to figure out how far I went (using mapmyrun.com) and the time it took me to do it. I would take my average velocity and plug that into MFP. I know you burn more calories when you're working harder, but I was just going for a rough estimate. If you want to get more precise, I'd say it might be worth it to invest in a Heart Rate Monitor that also tracks your calorie burn. I just got one this past week and thing it was well worth the price.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    You were exercising for 20 minutes so I would log it. If I were doing something like boxing or jump rope or sprints where there's a lot of resting in between I try to only log the time I spent actually active. A friend of mine says as long as your HR is up, count it. My problem is that my HR drops to recovery rather fast these days once I stop moving so I try not to count the rest times. I think most people put in the entire time, no matter what, for me it's a personal thing that I don't like to.