Gaining muscle, losing fat?!?!

Options
I had a body comp analysis at the gym yesterday, here's what it said:

172 cms
62.5 kgs
24.6% body fat
47 kgs fat free mass (I think that's what FFM stands for)

My trainer said I want to aim to put on 3kgs of muscle so my FFM is 50kgs, and he suggested I should be 15% body fat, which I personally think is ridiculous and I would be stoked with 18% (have been there before).

So, my question is... Can I build muscle AND lose fat at the same time or do I need to focus on building muscle first and cutting fat afterwards? I'm currently eating around 1600 calories per day (high protein diet, very clean), lifting heavy 2-3 times per week and doing a circuit/sprints/some form of HIIT in between.

Should I be doing something different or just keep going with this to reach my goal?

Replies

• 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    Work on building muscle "lifting" and get your diet right (lower carbs, especially last meal of the day) and the fat will slowly go away. And yes, it`s that simple, unless you over think and complicate it.

But I don`t see you making many muscular gains lifting 2 to 3 days a week.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Your trainer is an idiot. 15% bf is not healthy for a female.

Unless you're planning on entering physique competitions and being at that level for a very short time, I'd consider finding a trainer who knows what he's talking about.

If you're very new to lifting (or coming back to it) you should be able to drop fat - though not a lot, being already at 24% - and build muscle for a few weeks maybe. After that you're going to need a calorie surplus.

ETA: you're going to build STRENGTH no problem at 1600 cals. Are you going to gain 3kg of muscle at 1600 - NO.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Work on building muscle "lifting" and get your diet right (lower carbs, especially last meal of the day) and the fat will slowly go away. And yes, it`s that simple, unless you over think and complicate it.

No
  • scpdxb
    scpdxb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I didn't like him anyway.

I'll see how I go over the next few weeks and then work on increasing my calorie intake... Just nervous about my body fat going up.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options

No

Really? :noway:
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I didn't like him anyway.

I'll see how I go over the next few weeks and then work on increasing my calorie intake... Just nervous about my body fat going up.

Somebody posted a link about reverse dietting a while ago, you might want to check it out maybe, as seems by bringing your calorie intake up very slightly consistently, it lets your metabolism build. At least if you've been in a calorie deficit, and your metabolism has lowered a little, as it tends to do naturally.

Re: the body fat, as a guy I'd be delighted with 15, or even 18% body fat!
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Check out the 'women who bulk' group. There's girls in there a lot more knowledgeable than me and some good info.

If your not up for weight gain ATM, you'd get away with strength training at maintainence or deficit while you build up your strength and work on the muscle gain later. :)