healthy and safe diet? yes no?

Options
Is only eating foods that boost your metabolism a healthy and safe diet?

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Technically all food boosts metabolism, since if you stop eating, your metabolism is going to slow down. But how about giving us the list of these metabolism boosting foods, because I'm awfully curious!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Is only eating foods that boost your metabolism a healthy and safe diet?
    No such thing.

Please, read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • kdawnt19
    kdawnt19 Posts: 6
    Options
    Technically all food boosts metabolism, since if you stop eating, your metabolism is going to slow down. But how about giving us the list of these metabolism boosting foods, because I'm awfully curious!

Red Beans Garlic Berries: Raspberries and Strawberries Broccoli Whole Grains Green Tea Egg whites Water Coffee Dark Chocolate Almonds Oatmeal Cinnamon Lean Meats etc..

I was just wondering was reading about it online.
  • frillsbowslace
    Options
    It depends. What makes a diet healthy and safe is the nutrients, macro and micro, in your intake. As long as you are eating enough calories (based on your BMR) and not restricting yourself from vital vitamins and minerals like calcium and iron, you should be fine.

Also, most foods that boost your metabolism do so negligibly. It is a good idea to eat grapefruit, berries, and nuts often because they are healthy foods, but many doctors agree that the weightloss from, say, eating grapefruit for breakfast every day stems from a caloric deficit, and has very little to do with the food itself. Rather than focus entirely on "Is this food known for raising metabolisms?" it would be better, mentally and physically, to focus on "Is this food healthy, minimally processed, and containing the right nutrition to keep me healthy and strong?"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Red Beans Garlic Berries: Raspberries and Strawberries Broccoli Whole Grains Green Tea Egg whites Water Coffee Dark Chocolate Almonds Oatmeal Cinnamon Lean Meats etc..

No :noway:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

your digestive system uses energy to digest foods. For some foods, it uses more energy than for others, and the above list mostly look like foods that take more energy to digest (not sure about dark chocolate though)... but the actual amount of extra energy is very little, and while it's good to eat the above foods due to their micronutrient content and in the case of eggs and meat, for protein and fats too, I wouldn't worry so much about how much energy the foods take to digest, because it's not going to make that big a difference.

If you stick to your calorie goal and ensure you're getting a balanced diet including protein, fat, carbohydrate, vitamins minerals and fibre, and do exercise to keep your bones and muscles strong, you should lose fat and get lean and fit, without having to worry about these "metabolism boosting" foods. i.e. get all the nutrition you need, and plan to eat foods you enjoy eating in the process, and stick to your calorie goal, and you'll be fine :)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Hm, I always read cayenne had a minuscule effect on metabolism, but hadn't heard about the others. Seems too complicated to me for such a tiny potential advantage when putting on more muscle definitely increases calories burned even while sitting around doing nothing. Well, unless Mayoclinic is lying to me.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/in-depth/metabolism/art-20046508

The bodies of people who are larger or have more muscle burn more calories, even at rest.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    At a glance, that looks like a list of antioxidant rich foods. I wouldn't base my entire diet around antioxidant levels, though trying to incorporate some is probably good.

You lose weight from caloric deficits, not eating certain foods. I would ignore 'metabolism boosting' claims on foods. What boosts metabolism most is moving more.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think the "secret" is to eat less food.

Seems a shame to cram a bunch of stuff you may or may not like into your mouth when there is absolutely no reason in the world to imagine or believe that you will lose weight eating them vs. a rich balanced diet of the same caloric composition.

I think everyone want to believe there is some easy way to lose weight out there, hence the multi-billion dollar weight loss industry, but really it's just eat less and move more. Eat whatever you want in moderation and you'll be fine.

Good luck.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you're better off with quote / un-quote "clean" foods such as sweet potatoes versus "dirty" foods such as Pop-Tarts. You should maintain a balanced diet that is sustainable long-term. Additionally, you should diet at the highest amount of calories possible. If your maintenance calories are 1600 (for example) then first try dieting at 1500 calories for a couple weeks and see how that goes. Cutting too deep of calories too fast can actually slow your metabolism if you're not careful.