Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Getting enough protein.

I've been having trouble getting enough protein, and was hoping for some suggestions of some high protein foods. Here's the twist. I'm allergic to soy, so protein bars are out, and I'm vegetarian (because of the soy allergy, so that's not up for debate). Thank you!

Replies

• hyperchase
    hyperchase Posts: 13
    I buy a container of Whey Protein Isolate and mix with Unsweetened Almond Milk, 135 calories, 26 grams of protein 1g of fat and 0 carbs for 1 cup of this heavenly mixture. Perfect as a post workout energizer.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Dairy.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Do you eat dairy? Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and cheese sticks are good sources of protein. Quinoa and beans/lentils/legumes are also good. Quest bars have 20g protein, and I don't see soy in the ingredient list (for cokies & cream flavor).
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    I've been having trouble getting enough protein, and was hoping for some suggestions of some high protein foods. Here's the twist. I'm allergic to soy, so protein bars are out, and I'm vegetarian (because of the soy allergy, so that's not up for debate). Thank you!

Chickpeas, beans, health warrior chia seed bars, hemp milk, oats, sunflower seeds/pumpkin seeds, quinoa.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Why would being allergic to soy make you a vegetarian? :huh:
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Why would being allergic to soy make you a vegetarian? :huh:

I'm honestly curious about this.
  • PennyVonDread
    Also eggs if you're not vegan and mushrooms, whole grains, coconut or things baked with coconut flour.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Hemp or pea protein powder
    quinoa
    nuts
    beans, lentils, peas
    whole grains
    Spinach/leafy greens
    Nut butters
    Seeds

Some of these may not be super high in protein, but (like leafy greens) are fairly low in calories, so it isn't hard to eat 4 or 5 servings of it.
  • caraleebrooke
    caraleebrooke Posts: 3 Member
    I hadn't heard of Quest bars! It's the first protein bar I've ever seen soy free!
    are they in stores or do I need to order online?

I eat ALOT of dairy, whole milk, cheese, Greek yogurt ect.
    I think I'll be increasing the amount of beans/lentils and such.

Thank you all for the suggestions!
  • mallorytravels
    mallorytravels Posts: 86 Member
    Greek yogurt.
  • PennyVonDread
    Also keep in mind that MFP's goals are guidelines and you may actually be getting enough protein. For the average woman, the Institude of medicine recommends a target of 46 grams per day to maintain muscle mass. They say proteins should make up 10-35% of the daily caloric intake for most people. Assuming that you are eating at the MFP minimum, 1200 (which I don't recommend for everyone. But w/e) that's between 30-105 grams of protein a day. The minimum should be pretty easy to hit most days. You'll need more if you're trying to build muscle, but building muscle mass and losing weight are two different processes heavily based on diet, so it's best to focus on one at a time. Point is, even if MFP is nagging you about it, you might not be as deficient as it lead you to believe.
  • caraleebrooke
    caraleebrooke Posts: 3 Member
    I'm currently training for a half-marathon, and trying maintain muscle mass. I'm aiming for about 1800 - 2000 calories a day, but because of my restricted diet I'm finding it difficult to do that. I do use whey protein as a pre/post workout supplement. Getting enough carbs has not been a problem. I'm queen of the carbs.
  • PennyVonDread
    I'm currently training for a half-marathon, and trying maintain muscle mass. I'm aiming for about 1800 - 2000 calories a day, but because of my restricted diet I'm finding it difficult to do that. I do use whey protein as a pre/post workout supplement. Getting enough carbs has not been a problem. I'm queen of the carbs.

Well, 10% of say, 1850 calories, ends up at 46 grams of protein. You should shoot for that as a minimum to maintain muscle with your calorie goal, and it also happens to be the base recommendation anyways. Whey protein, seeds, nuts, mushrooms, whole grains, coconut, beans, dairy (and alternatives). That seems like a reasonable goal.