Are you a binger?

Options
2»

Replies

• disgettingfit
    Options
    I totally agree! I never realized I was a binger until just a few weeks back. I think it's predominantly habit for me, so I'll try to get rid of that as well as I can :)
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @studentbeatin: You can make new habits that replace the old ones on purpose. Old habits won't come back if you don't remove the new ones. Do the new habit long enough, until it becomes who you are, and the problem will be gone forever.

I recommend you to explore the psychology of habits. It's pretty simple, but extremely powerful. An easy read on the topic is: The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhigg
  • dhbisland
    dhbisland Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I used to go shopping trying something on and be upset that I had to get a bigger size or felt awful about myself. I'd leave the store being depressed and angry then going straight to the food store and buy all sorts of rubbish food. It's horrible feeling like this but I've decided not to shop until I feel better about myself. Also try hypnotherapy it works
  • disgettingfit
    Options
    Exactly what I'm doing! Getting new habits, and getting rid of the old! :D Thanks, I'll look into it! :)
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I plan on blogging a lot about my binge eating disorder. Its only my second day on MFP and I have been binge free...2 days. lol.
    I will binge on anything in the house if given a chance. I usually would wait till my husband left for work and the kids were asleep, although more recently I would do it in front of the kids.
    Leftovers were the biggest problem. Also, the snacks that I buy to send with the kids to school, and unfinished plates of food. I would also order 2nd dinners to the house (pizza, chinese, ect.) and eat till it hurt.
    Its ruined a great deal of my life. I want to be free to live my life without the extreme self loathing that comes with the bingeing and the weight.
    I'll friend you. It helps to talk about it sometimes. IRL people don't discuss it. Its so taboo. Meanwhile I believe with the processed starches and fast food available, there are more people than we know about that suffer from food addiction.
  • disgettingfit
    Options
    It's such a taboo and that's such a shame! I now see that so many other people have the same problem, which makes me think there might even be people in my direct environment who do!

Binging is just uncontrollable for most people, and I think it's a psychological thing (not to make it sound scary). And it needs to be discussed, just like other eating disorders are discussed.
  • jellybeansmamma
    jellybeansmamma Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yup another binger here. I still binge at night, but am swapping out what I used to binge on for healthier options, also trying to eat a little less each time, eat it slower, stop sooner etc. Seems to be helping, am managing to stay under my cals most of the time. I'm a work in progress lol, looking forward to being a reformed binger!
  • marciebrewer
    marciebrewer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a compulsive overeater as well. Hope we can all draw strength from one another.
  • danihardman89
    danihardman89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in the same boat. I didn't even realize I binged until about 2 years ago and I've tried so hard to stop. It doesn't help that I have depression along with other issues and food is a HUGE source of comfort, I call it an internal hug. I do ok for a couple weeks but then something will happen or little red ridding hood will come into town and I spiral back out of control. I just have no self control. It is very upsetting because I know that eating that much in the end makes me feel like crap but in the moment that hug just feels so comforting.

I totally understand this. I still have my days when that's the only way it seems that I can make myself feel better. Exercise in lieu of eating has helped with both weight loss and the amount I binge (mostly because I try to work my hardest after a slip up); and with my depression as well. It's so irritating to feel that I don't have control over something as basic as wanting to eat/not eat. I just try and tell myself that I can always do better tomorrow and that one day doesn't have to ruin everything that I'm working for (which has been my mentality at several points during the gaining/losing of weight).
  • 115s
    115s Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I can no longer binge. I am not a binger, am proud to say!
  • disgettingfit
    Options
    I can no longer binge. I am not a binger, am proud to say!

Congratulations! :) I hope to get there some day :)