Weight loss and facial skin...

Options
Has anyone else gotten bad rosacea/acne since losing weight? My face seems to get worse everyday. It wasn't this bad when I was overweight and I am so confused!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    See a dermatologist. (Heavy exercise might trigger rosacea, but it has nothing to do with your weight.)
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I see a new one in August. I've seen 4 so far and none of the treatments have worked. I'm running out of options. :/
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    I see a new one in August. I've seen 4 so far and none of the treatments have worked. I'm running out of options. :/

I just have to deal with it :(
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    On reading your post, my first thought was ... "Is this nutrition related?" When I've detoxed in the past it's lead to outbreaks of acne. If you think it might be this, you could try taking a good multivitamin for a while to see it that clears it up. Acne outbreaks are also stress related so maybe you could have a look at your life to see if weight loss has caused any problems for you in this area. And of course, there is always the hormonal angle ... you'd need to talk to your doctor about this one. Best of luck with sorting it out :-)
  • TutuMom41
    Options
    On reading your post, my first thought was ... "Is this nutrition related?" When I've detoxed in the past it's lead to outbreaks of acne. If you think it might be this, you could try taking a good multivitamin for a while to see it that clears it up. Acne outbreaks are also stress related so maybe you could have a look at your life to see if weight loss has caused any problems for you in this area. And of course, there is always the hormonal angle ... you'd need to talk to your doctor about this one. Best of luck with sorting it out :-)

Rocesia is a lipid disorder. It can even cause blindness. Traditional acne treatments will not work. I have had it for over 15 years. Have you tried finacia?
  • loribethrice
    Options

Rocesia is a lipid disorder. It can even cause blindness. Traditional acne treatments will not work. I have had it for over 15 years. Have you tried finacia?

jan3h, I have an eating disorder so I only eat a few foods. I am sure some of it could be nutrition related, but because I have such bad food anxiety and a bad eating disorder there's not much I can do on that point.

TutuMom41, I have been asked that. I've never been offered that one. Every single dermatologist I have gone to has put me on either MetroGel or MetroCream and Doxycycline. I am suggesting Finacea gel to the new derm I see in August because everyone with rosacea seems to think it works.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I've met two people within the past several years who I complimented on their beautiful complexion. Both girls' replies to me were: "It's rosacea." My complexion has peach and golden undertones, tending toward sallow so, their pink complexions just appeared healthy to me.
  • TutuMom41
    Options
    That's so sad my derm had been prescribing it for years. Metro gel did not work at all for me. I am allergic to doxy. I am having a bad flair at the moment but I can't stop picking at it :(
    Like someone said in the post before mine about beautiful skin... I have had several people tell me I have beautiful skin but all I see is my rosecia. Maybe you are self conscious like I am. I hope your new doc will give it to you. My PCP will also give me a script. Maybe try your Primary care doc.
  • loribethrice
    Options
    That's so sad my derm had been prescribing it for years. Metro gel did not work at all for me. I am allergic to doxy. I am having a bad flair at the moment but I can't stop picking at it :(
    Like someone said in the post before mine about beautiful skin... I have had several people tell me I have beautiful skin but all I see is my rosecia. Maybe you are self conscious like I am. I hope your new doc will give it to you. My PCP will also give me a script. Maybe try your Primary care doc.

When it was just the pink tones it was ok. Now I have the bumps and pustule things and my skin is super dry. I keep picking at it because it's itchy. My mom never had this issue until she was over 40 and I am only 27 so I am wondering why I have it.
  • TutuMom41
    Options

When it was just the pink tones it was ok. Now I have the bumps and pustule things and my skin is super dry. I keep picking at it because it's itchy. My mom never had this issue until she was over 40 and I am only 27 so I am wondering why I have it.

I got it when i was 25. I am not 41. I have those red and white bumps. All over my face. They some times itch, I am bad and keep thinking if I pick them they will go away but they don't. I hope the finecia works for you, Roscia sucks but I do know it bothers me more than other people notice
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Rosacea usually presents around age 30.

Learn more from the National Rosacea Society: http://www.rosacea.org
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    You have hit the age where rosacea will start, if you're going to get it. Getting it has nothing to do with weight. Trust me when I say, you will need to see a dermatologist. I have it, and no amount of OTC treatments helped. Also, be ready for sticker shock when the doc wants to sell you on the "new" Oracea (it's just doxycycline 30mg with a 10 mg extended release part). If you're not willing to pay between $70 and $300 for a month's supply, beg him for regular antibiotics. They really work the same.

:-)

Also, the above posters are right, though: excercise, sun, certain foods, wind, alcohol...the list goes on...*can* be triggers.
  • loribethrice
    Options
    You have hit the age where rosacea will start, if you're going to get it. Getting it has nothing to do with weight. Trust me when I say, you will need to see a dermatologist. I have it, and no amount of OTC treatments helped. Also, be ready for sticker shock when the doc wants to sell you on the "new" Oracea (it's just doxycycline 30mg with a 10 mg extended release part). If you're not willing to pay between $70 and $300 for a month's supply, beg him for regular antibiotics. They really work the same.

:-)

Also, the above posters are right, though: excercise, sun, certain foods, wind, alcohol...the list goes on...*can* be triggers.

I don't drink alcohol or go outside during the day. I also don't eat anything spicy or anything with tomatoes. I've been dealing with it on and off since 22, but it keeps getting worse every year. I see my newest dermatologist in a few weeks. I've seen 4 or 5 so far and they all do the same treatment that doesn't work even though I told them I had that treatment and it didn't work. I can't use most OTC products because I have super sensitive skin and it's super dry.