How much weight did you have to lose to go down a size?

Options

Replies

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes aren't really standardized, at least not in the US. One brands size 16 can vary greatly from another brands size 16. Also, are they a 16 in misses or a 16 in the Plus sizes? Typically not the same size whatsoever. 2x vs xxl, again, not the same size.

Also the materials used can lend a lot of wiggle room, especially the higher in sizes you go.

Weight isn't a good gauge because even people of the same height and weight can be different sizes because of differing body composition. An apple probably won't drop pant sizes as fast as a pear, and vice versa.

Most online clothing stores have a sizing chart. You can see the differences in the ranges of measurements given for each size for any given brand. I would just pick one brand as your standard to go by throughout your weightloss journey to gauge how far you have to go (in inches) before you'd be down to the next size.
  • neonpinup
    neonpinup Posts: 2
    Options
    I've heard that the rule of thumb is you might go down a pant/dress size for every 10-15 pounds you lose, but of course, YMMV because individuals are all different.

I've lost 14 pounds and am down one dress size.
  • paigebeverly
    paigebeverly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40 pounds and have gone from a 20 to a 16. My bras have gone from a 44dd to a 40dd. Starting weight was 250.
  • zodan1976
    zodan1976 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 27lbs and still haven't changed my pants. I am fitting into some smaller shirts though. (so maybe my boobs are shrinking?) I think I have done the same as you. my back and legs seem smaller. (I know this is TMI but........I can put my legs together comfortably now....LOL) and my hubby is a little upset because my butt is getting smaller...haha. I guess it seems I am loosing all the "fun" areas.....LOL, but yeah I can totally understand the frustration of wanting to put on smaller clothes. lets keep working and we will get there!!
  • mystified75
    Options
    I know when I first started losing weight, I felt the same way. But what I came to realize was at my heaviest, I was SQUEEZING into my size 14's. In reality, I should have been wearing size 16's or higher. So really when my size 14's were starting to feel comfortable, I had to remind myself that I had indeed went down a few sizes.
  • Cracken99
    Cracken99 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20's I could lose 10 lbs and go down a size, now that I am in my 40's I have to lose a good 20 lbs before I can squeeze into the next size down. But because I have to squeeze (They fit!) I usually will choose my old bigger clothes for comfort..LOL. Like one poster said, my clothes where probably too tight when I began so they probably just fit perfect after 20 lbs.
  • LindaDinsberga
    LindaDinsberga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well let me tell the truth- at first , you must be losing weight of you inner organs(good news)... the second thing- choose more protein, and remember that muscle is 4 time visually smaller than fat the same weight. so congrats, keep on ! :wink:
  • LindaDinsberga
    LindaDinsberga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree! ;)
  • theCaityCat
    theCaityCat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The loss wasn't linear though, it took a good while to go down from 24 to 22. I was actually disappointed when 45 lbs lighter I was still able to wear my larger clothes, a little bit baggier but not falling off.

This is actually a bit of a relief. My starting weight is similar to yours, and I'm in no financial position to replace a good part of my wardrobe.

According to my aunt, it takes longer and more poundage to drop between larger sizes (e.g. size 22 to 20) and less poundage to drop between smaller sizes (e.g. size 8 to size 6). I guess I'll see.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    It only took me about 15 lbs to go from a size 18 to a 14 pants size, but it does vary depending on the brand/cut. I'm 5'9" and I went from 225 lbs to 210. Last time I was a size 12 I weighed about 202, so about 8 lbs for the larger sizes, the smaller ones take 10-15 lbs for me.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I actually gained a bit and lost a pants size (sorta)
    Need to wear a belt around most of my old pants now, but some don't fit anymore because my shape changed.
    I lost in my waist, but gained muscle in butt, thighs and calves.
    Lot of T-shirts are loose at waist and tighter around arms now.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    As far as pants go, I started at 210lbs in size 14 jeans. Now I am 178lbs in size 12. When I bought the 12's, I had lost around 25 lbs. I am now at a total 32lb loss and the 12s are still fitting just fine, so for me personally I think it will be at least another 20 before I can drop into 10's.

As for t-shirts, I'll use men's as an example because women's clothes are never consistent, I started wearing men's L and can now wear M.

I noticed dress sizes drop a little more dramatically but again I can't even give you a good estimate because no sizes are ever marked consistently.

It really varies from person to person because there are so many variables.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I've lost 11 lbs (14 since I STARTED losing), but 11 since I got serious about it. I haven't bought any new pants, but I have noticed they are starting to feel loose and ride lower than they used to. My jeans are still tight, but I had gotten tot he point of not wearing them in the past because they were too small and I refused to buy more in a larger size (I wore a lot of skirts, they are forgiving!).

And my shirts fit looser in the mid-section. I will probably stay a large in shirts for a long time, because my boobs are not shrinking but my waist and hips are (I measure weekly). I don't think they will shrink much as long as I am still lactating.
  • marye2021
    marye2021 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 40 lbs and have gone from an 18 in jeans to a size 10 in jeans. I'm wearing a size 12 in suit pants though so it definitely depends on the cut/style of clothing
  • EA1979
    EA1979 Posts: 25
    Options
    19lbs down, same dress size x
  • NoXCuses4me
    Options
    I'm the textbook "10 pounds equals one size" person. Lost 40, went from a 14 pant to an 8.

Were your clothes too tight to start with?! Maybe they fit better? :)

But yes, I lose EVERYWHERE - I don't carry my weight in any one area. I am fat all over! Maybe you are losing from one particular area.

Don't give up! Your health is still better for the loss! :happy:
  • fittyinthemaking
    fittyinthemaking Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ive gone down 2 sizes after losing 4 stone so id say roughly 2 stone
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    For teens sizes I went from like a size 9 to a size 2-3 after losing 20lbs

I can't go off dress size because I've like always worn a small and even at 130lbs I wear a 5-6 in dress. Women's stuff is so difficult to get an accurate "size" since everything is different unless you have waist measurements for your clothes.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I am completely convinced I'm never going down a size no matter how much weight I lose. I thought I was getting close, but my pants today are telling me I'm an idiot and not even the slightest bit close to going down a size yet.
  • zman1313
    zman1313 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Started at size 40 waist, currently a 34. I've lost 72#. So that means, for me, 24# per size