Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Macros and Calories

I am 91 pounds, 5'2. Which means I am underweight, and I've been trying to gain. It's hard to increases my calories and recently I have gone from less than 1,000 to 1,700-1800 over a little while. My macros are set at 50/20/30 (c/p/f) which means I'm getting around 67 grams of fat, 100 grams of protein, and the rest carbs (my goal is 2,000 calories). Are these good? Do I even need to worry honestly if I'm trying to gain weight? (Also, I am currently weight lifting as well, 4 times a week, as well as one day of HIIT cardio, as I do not want to gain a lot of fat, mostly muscle, and gain little stomach fat or body fat in general(any help on that would be appreciated as well) I would be grateful for any advice!

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Sounds good to me. Did you do that on your own? or with the MFP guide. I'm not sure, without going throught the calculations. I'm on 1945 cal to gain .5lb/week for 5lb. But I need to cut down cardio and add strength training to build the weight in muscle mass rather than fat.

In the research phase. lol Still too much cardio.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Your macros seem fine. Personally I just focus on getting at least 100 grams of protein and enough calories in a day, carbs and fat will fall into place. Just try this for a while and see how it goes, maybe slowly increase calories a bit if needed.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Your macros seem fine. Personally I just focus on getting at least 100 grams of protein and enough calories in a day, carbs and fat will fall into place. Just try this for a while and see how it goes, maybe slowly increase calories a bit if needed.

This is spot on really.

When it comes to gaining- macros are a nice idea- but you can hit the perfect percentage of macros- and not actually hit your minimum calorie goal- and on gaining- it's REALLY important to hit that minimum goal that puts you in surplus.

hitting over 100 protein is solid- then just fill the rest out to get you to your goal- and if you aren't gaining- add another 100-200 calories. Don't forget gaining- the calorie goal is a moving target- it's going to move up as you gain weight and your body fights to burn the extra calories. So you may have to bump the number up ever 4-6 weeks by 100 -200 calories. Just keep an eye on it and keep working for it- it'l happen- it's a slow process though.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Male or female..?
  • timetogetfit7
    timetogetfit7 Posts: 3 Member
    I'm female