Running newbie

Options
So in the past 6 months I've started running. Nothing else has helped me lose any weight. Initially I started out reeeeeeally slow with intervals of running 1 min and walking 2 min. I've worked up to walking 4 min and running 6 min at a time (this is a feat for me).

My question is: I am running at 5.6 mph and it feels like running to me but I see where a lot of people "jog" at that pace....how can I improve my running?

I currently walk for 3:30 min at 2.8 mph and run for 6:30 min at 5.6 mph until I get to 20 min

I just want to make improvements with running and maximize my weight loss through cardio and I don't know how to go about it!

Replies

• SWWIS
    SWWIS Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, it's easier to make speed improvements after you've already made good stamina improvements. For example, if you build up to running 30 minutes straight, you could then try running at your normal pace for 10 minutes, switch to 1-minute intervals of faster running (but not necessarily sprinting) and walking (do the intervals for 10 minutes, so fast-run 5 times), then run another 10 minutes at your normal pace. Slowly increase the length of the beginning and end run, and the amount and length of the intervals. Over a few weeks your pace for a 30 minute run should improve, as well as your stamina for runs longer than 30 minutes.

Building up to a 30 minute run might seem daunting right now, but building stamina is a slow process. You might also want to consider a couch-to-5k app, and there are apps out there for improving pace as well.
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Distance then speed.
  • itsgradyy
    itsgradyy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just downloaded the app!! Thanks!!
  • blerg_acceptable
    blerg_acceptable Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might also want to consider a couch-to-5k app, and there are apps out there for improving pace as well.

Couch-to-5K is amazing! I did it last year and participated in its Reddit community, and it was doable and even kind of enjoyable. Once 5K became a "normal" distance to jog, my pace got better as a side-effect. 10/10 would recommend.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm of the school "distance and endurance first, then the speed will come later".

I'm also progressing through Couch to 5K (Week 3 baby!) and I've got to keep telling myself something like the above so remind myself that I'm building stamina not speed.
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I first started out last year, one of the most encouraging things someone said to me was... "a mile is a mile no matter how long it takes." I also had a serious runner tell me that jogging is simply slower running and when you're going out for the sake of exercise you don't normally differentiate speed....I went for a slow walk or I did some slow swimming. She just told me that if you're wearing running shoes and your not walking then you're running.

My advice is building up distance first and then speed will come naturally. My first mile running took almost 13 minutes. I've now run a 5k and regularly run (with some walking) 3-4 miles. Last week I started out running and beat my best time at 10 min 12 seconds for the first mile.

Just get out there and move!
  • itsgradyy
    itsgradyy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I first started out last year, one of the most encouraging things someone said to me was... "a mile is a mile no matter how long it takes." I also had a serious runner tell me that jogging is simply slower running and when you're going out for the sake of exercise you don't normally differentiate speed....I went for a slow walk or I did some slow swimming. She just told me that if you're wearing running shoes and your not walking then you're running.

My advice is building up distance first and then speed will come naturally. My first mile running took almost 13 minutes. I've now run a 5k and regularly run (with some walking) 3-4 miles. Last week I started out running and beat my best time at 10 min 12 seconds for the first mile.

Just get out there and move!

Love this thanks!!! Maybe one day I can run a 5k!
  • SWWIS
    SWWIS Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You might also want to consider a couch-to-5k app, and there are apps out there for improving pace as well.

Couch-to-5K is amazing! I did it last year and participated in its Reddit community, and it was doable and even kind of enjoyable. Once 5K became a "normal" distance to jog, my pace got better as a side-effect. 10/10 would recommend.

I use clearsky's 10k running app. I got all the way to week 10 (5k is at the end of week 8 and 10k is at the end of week 14) but lost all my motivation over the summer last year. I started back up a few weeks ago from week 5 since I had been keeping in shape through other methods than running, and now I'm back at the beginning of week 8. I want to be close to finishing the app by the time the fall semester starts up. They also make a 5k version (but might as well get the 10k one since it goes through all of what the 5k app is and more), a 21k version, an app to improve 5k pace, an app to improve 10k pace, and various core workout apps that aim to build up repetitions over 10 weeks. I use the core apps after I do the runs.. I love it. I'm going to use the 10k version of the pacing app once I finish the 14th week to try to improve my pace before I take on the 21k version since it seems pretty daunting :noway:
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a runner -- for nearly 40 years -- and I've rarely ever been able to run more than 6.0 miles per hour. Now I'm running half marathons at 12:30-13 minutes per mile average. I've never been fast -- even my mile isn't much more than 5.5 mph on a track. One suggestion -- your running pace for building stamina should be one where you can actually talk to someone. If you can't do that, then maybe you're running too fast for the "run" portion of the run/walk -- after a good base, then you can start running intervals where you push the pace now and then. Mix up your pace.