Caffeine Addiction

Options
itsgradyy
itsgradyy Posts: 23 Member
I drink a couple cups of coffee everyday. I am NOT a morning person and I can't get through a full day of work without it. I used to not drink it on the weekends, but then I started realizing that it helped me workout even harder and it gives me the energy to exercise.

I realized I was depending on it a little too much because I was drinking at least three cups religiously as soon as I woke up. Recently I started trying to stop drinking coffee (switched it out for green tea) I'm gonna be honest I turned into a raging ***** haha.

I've read that drinking coffee has it's benefits and is also a low calorie drink. However this is in MODERATION! I don't want to necessarily give up coffee (I love it) but I want to lower the amount I need to drink. I shouldn't feel like I need three cups to even function throughout my day.

Any tips?

Replies

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Just measure any extras you want to add to your coffee.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've gone 18 months without caffeine, but that's not what you're after, so my experiences may not be totally 100% relevant to your situation. That said, try and have rules about when you can and can't drink caffeine. Some people suggest none after 3pm as it can affect the quality of your sleep. Also, once in a while see if you can go a whole day without caffeine. You may get a headache though, so have some aspirin on hand in case you do.
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    When I get hooked on coffee I have to wein myself off of it or I get horribly ill with massive headaches. I have been successful without ill effects by dropping down by about a half cup per week; so in your case 2 1/2 cups, then 2, then 1 1/2 etc.

That's worked for me. When I dropped the last half cup I switched to green tea. I can almost drink that all day long and never feel bad, but lately I just have an occasional cup of black tea on the days that I want to wake up a little more.

Try staggering your way down. It makes it easier.

On the other hand, I can appreciate wanting it. I think most people should be able to handle a cup a day without negative effects. I can, but if I do it every day I end up needing to go to half a cup for a few days or a week.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    A caffeine-withdrawal headache lasts 3 excruciating days and aspirin won't touch it. You do not want this, trust me.
  • PapaChanoli
    PapaChanoli Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    A caffeine-withdrawal headache lasts 3 excruciating days and aspirin won't touch it. You do not want this, trust me.

For sure! The worst I had was when I got sick at a time I was drinking 2 quarts a day. I had to stop cold turkey because I was sick. I thought I was going to die, literally. I didn't touch coffee for a good year after that. Now I can drink it, but almost never two days in a row.

For all I know I just had a wicked flu, but seriously, who needs that grief?
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    When I went cold-turkey off caffeine, I don't remember the headache being particularly bad. What I did remember though were the cravings, They lasted at least a year, as a guess I would have had at least 3-500 craving "events" (you know, that little voice inside your head telling you to buy a can of Coke), it's pretty bad. Going off the demon drink completely is too hard for many people, or at least the rewards aren't worth the effort.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I drink 2-3 pots of coffee daily, no reason to give up coffee or caffeine. If you add anything into your coffee just log it. But I wouldn't worry at all about 2-3 cups of coffee
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm

Coffee
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Make sure you sleep and eat enough, then you can make it through the day. And slowly lower coffee intake to 1-3 cups a day or so.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I gave up coffee for lent a few years back as I'm prone to migraines I spent 4 days in bed in a darkened room vomiting. I am now enjoying a morning pot of coffee. I do not care to repeat the experience and see no reason to.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    3 cups a day! That's not an addiction, that's just breakfast
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't even worry over 3 cups. As mentioned above by someone else, just log whatever you add to it and don't worry about it. You may want to watch the things you add into it (as calories do add up) but really - three cups isn't that big a deal.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I drink 3-5 mugs of black coffee every day. I would NOT give that up. However, if you really want to cut down and it's more the taste and the habit that you are craving, try a good quality de-caf. I like the de-caf Milicano for an instant coffee in the evening if I just want something to stop me nibbling. It's really pretty good and hard to tell the difference. Or you could get a de-caf cafetiere / filter pot blend and try that.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    lol. 3 cups of coffee a day is child's play.

unless it's causing you harm, why would you want to try to cut coffee out of your life?
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Just taper it back slowly, dialling back the caffeine is the same as dialling back sugar, where the best way is just to decrease it gradually.

Tip-wise, perhaps just drink the same amount of cups/ mugs that you are currently, just fill them 3/4's the way up, then switch to cups, and then reduce the number of cups. Otherwise just begin dialling the number of cups/ mugs you drink every day. Giving your body a little time to get used to it should eliminate any noticeable withdrawal symptoms/ headaches.

Of course if you don't feel the above would suit you, just go cold turkey, and after a few days the withdrawal symptoms should disappear.

By the way, coffee is actually quite good for you, so perhaps reduce but not eliminate it, and save it for the times you really need it, ie morning/ before a workout.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    there's nowt wrong with coffee!!! :drinker:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a decent source of potassium. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I can't have it after dinner or I won't sleep. . Other than that all bets are off. I drink coffee hot or cold. I actually drink strong straight coffee when I get an aura before a migraine.
    I do log anything I put into it.
  • itsgradyy
    itsgradyy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My problem is just with the feeling that I need 3 cups to get through my day..I don't like the dependence. I understand a ton of people drink several cups a day though. Thanks for the advice!
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My problem is just with the feeling that I need 3 cups to get through my day..I don't like the dependence. I understand a ton of people drink several cups a day though. Thanks for the advice!

If it's about dependence, then switching to tea may not be the best thing as you're switching one caffeine source for another.

If it's about calories, then choose lower-calorie additions or just go black.

Either way, there are a lot worse things to depend upon :)