ROUTINE ON TREADMILL

Kristina_Kay24
Kristina_Kay24 Posts: 3
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello All,

I've been on a diet for 2 months now. In the beginning, I was going hard and lost a good amount of weight. In the past week or so, I've been slacking and eating like crap. I just signed up for this website tonight to keep track of my calories and I'm getting back on the treadmill for 30mins to an hour, 3 to 4 days a week.

My question is, since I only have a treadmill at home, what is the best way to walk/run to prevent a plateau? Any specific routines I should go by?

Thanks!

Kris :heart: :smooched: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    depending on the type of treadmill you have many of them have preprogrammed programs on them which go up & down in speed and incline for a great run/walk & caloric burn. Also, if you are really trying to get into running you can download the C25K app on your phone, or ipod. Or you can just look it up on the computer at coolrunning.com. Plus about.com have some cool beginner runner programs for run/walk routines. Hope this helps
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Interval training is the BEST.
    basically jog (or walk) your normal pace for 5 minutes to warm up
    Increase speed to 60% maximum speed for 90 seconds
    Reduce speet to regular pace for 60 seconds
    Increase speed to 75% maximum for 90 seconds
    Reduce to regular pace 60 seconds
    Increase speed to 80% maximum for 90 seconds
    Increase to 90% maximum for 90 seconds
    BALLS OUT (100%) for 90 seconds
    Reduce to regular pace for 5 minute cool down.

This gives you about 20 minutes you can always do the increases at longer intervals (I wouldn't go more than 2 minutes) or if you're feeling spunky do it twice.

Hope that's helpful and don't forget you can alternate the incline as well!!
  • Awesome Guys! Thanks for the advice! I'll give it all a try and see what happens.

Thanks again!:heart:
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    You neglected to say which kind of plateau you were talking about. You could have meant a weight loss plateau or an exercise plateau. If you're concern is about weight loss, you should control that through diet. If it is about exercise, you control that through your exercise regimen.

Diet plateaus happen when the metabolism slows to the point of preventing further fat loss. You prevent that by losing weight slowly and combat it by increasing your caloric intake temporarily.

Exercise plateaus happen from adaptation and are prevented and combated by varying the routine so the body cannot adapt.

Whatever you do on the treadmill should be planned to achieve specific goals and not based on random advice. There is no one best way to train on a treadmill. Decide what it is you want to accomplish and then plan accordingly.

Good luck and good health

• Thanks Clickmaster! I've hit a weight loss plateau. I don't get on the treadmill everyday to hopefully prevent an exercise plateau. In the past couple of days, I've been doing some research about it and you are definitely correct about upping my calorie intake. I've always ate the same no matter if I worked out or not.
    For a period of time, I wasn't eating enough calories because I thought that if I ate less, I would lose more by working out. That definitely is not the case lol What I am trying to achieve on the treadmill is weight loss along with losing fat from my abdomen and thighs. I know that strength training is best next to cardio but I don't have a gym membership so I try to do some workouts that are on the ondemand channel. Getting on the treadmill is just so much easier and convenient with my work and school schedule.

Anywho, thanks again for the response! :)
  • clickmaster
    clickmaster Posts: 54 Member
    I hope this topic isn't dead and buried. I've been too busy to reply. Sorry for the delay.

You can work out on your treadmill daily if you want to. Just vary the routine. You can do intervals, for example, and run all out for a minute or so and then relax to a more leisurely pace for 5 or 10 minutes, then run again, etc....whatever you're comfortable with. You can also vary the incline of the running bed (depending on your equipment) and increase or decrease the load that way to make sure you're not adapting from too much consistency. I do all the above and I do more or less what I feel like doing day by day so I'm not really in a rut. Some days I may feel like running up and down stairs so I run the incline up to 10% or less and other days I feel like sprinting so I do intervals. In between I do squats..some frog squats, some one legged squats, etc.

You can always do body weight exercises just to keep the muscles and underlying structures tuned up. Of course some weights are nice too especially for females with bone density concerns. You might want to invest in something like a Powerblock kettle bell or just lift some heavy thing such as a 5 gallon water bottle (40 pounds...water is a pound per pint) to make sure you have some weight bearing exercise on a regular basis. Drinking water bottles are good if you get the kind with a handle because you can add water as necessary to increase weight.

Regarding the fat, that's going to come off where the body wants and you have no control over that. Where your body stores and removes fat is entirely genetic-based. If you're interested in body sculpting and improving your figures there are only two things you can do.

1. Build muscle
    2. Burn fat

That's it. That's all any of us can do short of surgery.

Anyhooo..best of luck with your workouts. Good health to you.

This discussion has been closed.