don't want to be emotional derailed during family event

Options
I don't know which forum to post this in. Since I'm just getting started, I guess this is as good as any.
I have a certain trigger that will cause me to abandon my weight loss goals for many months. I have just started feeling in control again, and am making great choices. I'm completely dedicated at the moment.
I'm about to face this trigger on Sunday. Its my annual family get together. My family is obsessed with talking about how people look, and their weight. They will undoubtedly say things like "ohhhhh you looook soooo gooood" when its clear that I am too heavy. My mother is extremely thin and her sister is an exercise anorexic (needs to work off calories immediately after eating them.) They are obsessed with it, so they talk about it - and that triggers me.
It doesn't help that last time we had this event I was also this heavy, then I lost a bunch of weight, then we had a 3 year hiatus because of my grandmother's death, and now 3 years later, here I am looking the same. Its like a reminder that I have accomplished nothing.
God this turned out kind of bloggy.
My question - what strategies can I use to keep my head in the game? I'm thinking self-talk mantras, and changing topics off of body/food, but the latter isn't easy, and I know I will internalize a lot of shame regardless.
Help me get through this please.

Replies

• Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew what to say to help you. Maybe before you go, you need to remind yourself what you are doing to help yourself. And maybe you need to tell them to shut the hell up. I don't know.

Get rid of all binge-y foods and stock up on veggies before you go.

Best of luck.
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I just want to clarify also, after rereading my my post.
    My mom and aunt suffer greatly with their eating disorder. I am not unsympathetic towards them - I realize it may sound like I am thinking they are judgemental of me because they are thin - that is not the case. They ARE judgemental of me, but because they have an eating disorder.
    Being thin is a great thing. Having food control issues (in their case anorexia) is not.
    :heart: to anyone who is suffering with either issue.
    --
    Jess - good idea to remove my binge foods from the house before I go. If I come home to healthy choices, I am more likely to stay on track. I'll expand that to maybe putting some affirmations up around the house, and making my home environment as clean and awesome as possible before I go. Thank you for your reply. This helped me a lot!!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Your calories and fat intake are very low and unsustainable. Of course you're going to fall off track if what's in your diary is typical for you. A very low calorie, low fat diet is only going to exacerbate any mental issues you may be dealing with.

Please, take a step back and look at your diet. Eat nourishing food with enough fat so your body and mind can function. Seek some professional guidance if you can't do that on your own. Best wishes. :flowerforyou: