Running - push through the pain?

Options
Hi,

I started running a few weeks back. I even joined a running group in my neighborhood.
I like running. It is fun, it is free and I have been making great progress but...

... I have been experiencing mild discomfort in my knees and ankles after runs. Not so much while I am running, more in between runs. I have thought to myself that this is normal because I am new to running, that my muscles are just getting used to it.

Yesterday was the first time that I experienced pain during my run, so I was not able to runs as far or for as long as I would have liked to. Today I went for another run and straight from the beginning I felt great pain in my ankles and tibiae. I thought to myself that I should just push through the pain and kept going. After only 3K I just had to stop. The pain was excruciating and when I stopped I just fell to the ground in pain. I could not even stand up for a few minutes.

Now I am sitting in my living room sofa with frozen peas on my tibiae and ankles and I can just feel my ankles swelling up.

So... my question is: When should one listen to their body and stop running and when should they push though the pain? And... what can be done to prevent the pain or minimize it?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    ... I have been experiencing mild discomfort in my knees and ankles after runs. Not so much while I am running, more in between runs. I have thought to myself that this is normal because I am new to running, that my muscles are just getting used to it.

Knees & ankles are not muscles, they are joints. Joint pain is never normal - it's a sign that something is wrong. There are many different reasons for getting knee & ankle pain. Sometimes it's as simple as wearing the wrong shoes or having sloppy running form, but often it requires a professional assessment to find & treat the cause. Best thing to do is to meet with a sports doctor or physical therapist.

See this video on shin pain:

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/inside-doctors-office-keep-shinsplints-away
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh and how long are the runs?

Joint pain is not something to ignore. Try doing shorter runs, also maybe have someone look at your technique. If you heel-strike excessively that could cause a greater degree of joint irritation.
  • lsigall
    lsigall Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You can push through when it's muscle fatigue. But as the above poster already pointed out, knees and ankles are joints. You should never push through joint pain. Ignoring it will only make it worse.

With regards to getting rid of it, what the above poster said. You need to figure out what is causing it and correct that.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Sounds like shinsplints also it sounds like you are doing too much too soon. If you've only been running a few weeks slow down give your body time to adapt
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you were right to stop. joint pain is tough. you probably have just been over taxing your knees and ankles. like cherimoose said, you might need new shoes and tweak your form, but it also might just be an issue with not warming up enough, and not cooling down and stretching properly. and you might have just been pushing too hard too quickly.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    My coach told me there's one thing to be hurt, and another to be injured. You can train through the former, depending on your goals. If you're aiming to "peak" for something, resting might be better. If it's general fitness or weight loss, as long as you're not getting injured moving around helps.

For what is worth, I can consistently ride 4-7 hours in a day. Last Monday I did 12 minutes of climbing stairs (3 x 20 stories). I am still sore from that - especially ankles and outer quads, but not injured. And I felt better after exercising instead of letting it just evolve on its own. Some other options that have worked for me are a foam roller and self massage.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Never ignore joint pain.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above. Shin pain is likely shin splints. If you continue to push through this, you will require surgery if the muscles tear away from the bone. At the moment, you can probably rest and heal. Perhaps cycle instead until things feel better?
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have had shin splints and still struggle with them sometimes and the pain is not in your ankles or knees, it is along the shin. It sounds like one of your problems is doing too much too fast. Since you have just started you should not be running every day, give your body rest days. I did C25K last summer and started again this May and I still only run 2 miles 3 times a week. Good luck and I hope you heal up fast!
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    See if your insurance covers physical therapy or a chiropractor. Something is off. Maybe you need some strength training or bumped up the mileage too fast. It could also be your form, a muscle imbalance, tendonitis ... Don't ignore it!

P.S. Are you a toe runner? Ankle issues can stem from landing on the toes rather than mid-foot ... or plain overuse. It's not something one can diagnose on the web though.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    as others have stated, ankle and knee pain should never be ignored. you should be seen by a medical professional with experience in sports injuries. i had severe shin splints for a couple years, and never felt pain in my knees, btw, so please do seek a professional assessment.
  • lellagella
    lellagella Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advise. I guess I am doing too much too soon. I am just so very excited about running that I have been wanting to push my limits. I may have pushed them a bit too far :p

I will also make an appointment to have someone take a look at my running technique and have shoes fitted.

Thank you
  • freshstart180213
    freshstart180213 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Im just wondering how long is a couple of weeks? As I have been at it just shy of 2 weeks and the most I manage for now 2.1miles which is not quite 4k so perhaps u are pushing too hard? Also I still walk parts of mine as well as the run rememeber if u arnt doing somethjng like the c25k (personally I am not) you have to take things easy and slow down your ambition

As people have said knees and ankles arnt muscles they are joints so in this instance u need to listen to your body and stop and rest perhaps a visit to your gp would also be beneficial just to get the ok for running

And finally do a search on here just today I saw a great piece on tips for running and avoiding injury learn from the runners on here their advice is invaluable in making sure u do enjoy your run safely