Why does pizza have to have so many calories?

Options
Ivyzmama
Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
any low-cal pizza ideas?

Replies

• wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I always think that pizza is a bargain at only 250 calories per slice for thin crust. :)

My vote - go for the real stuff and have a slice with a salad.
  • AmberLeannnn
    AmberLeannnn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use a tortilla and add sauce, cheese, and lots of veggies. Bake at 425 for 6-8 mins. A yummy thin crust pizza!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I use a Flatout wrap (90 cals), pizza sauce, garlic, jalapenos, red onion and black olives.Total cals 203.
  • dogpaws4ever
    dogpaws4ever Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Do you have a MOD Pizza place by you?
    They make a number of pizza's for one person that are under 500 calories, which is less than a number of sandwiches out there. They taste awesome, and you get 4 nice size very thin crust slices and you are eating your own entire pizza, which totally is filling and makes you feel like you have won the lottery.
    Try them, you won't be sorry.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I always think that pizza is a bargain at only 250 calories per slice for thin crust. :)

I agree. Stick to veggie toppings or just cheese. A lot of chains have thin crust options. Papa Murphy's is very low cal and tasty. I think the 'New York style' pizzas are thinner crust, too. Well, thinner than Chicago style.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options

I agree. Stick to veggie toppings or just cheese. A lot of chains have thin crust options. Papa Murphy's is very low cal and tasty. I think the 'New York style' pizzas are thinner crust, too. Well, thinner than Chicago style.

Me too. The reason this has worked for me is because I can eat what I want - mostly - and simply work it into my calories for the week. I had pizza on Friday and that meal will keep me sane for a while and help keep me from feeling like I'm on a diet.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

^^This. I find thin crust pizza delicious and satiating for me. 2 slices and a salad or veggies on the side, and I'm satisfied. Yeah, it's a 600 calorie meal, but I plan pizza night on a high activity day, when I need extra fuel anyway (like, "long" run Sundays--I'm totally eating pizza tonight, and will still be in calorie deficit).
  • Flutterloo
    Flutterloo Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My pizza is 150ish per slice.

Hungry Howie's thin crust for the win.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

I love Papa Murphy's! Their De-Lite crust is (as far as I can tell) the same taste as the regular, just thinner. And, their nutrition info is available online, so it's easy to make an informed choice.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    My advise is plan ahead for the pizza. 250 to 300 calories per slice isnt too bad. Even for two slices. That being said you could try this recipe

Take a large portabello mushroom.
    Pop off the stem
    Put a good size spoon of salsa in the upside down musnroo m
    Sprinkle some grated cheese
    Broil til bubbly

Voila mushroom pizza
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Options
    A lot of hidden oil plus it's made of flour + cheese? Homemade pizza is the best. But that's only possible if you can cook/bake(IDK). Just eat the real thing and workout or in small portion.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

^ After spending an insane amount of time and energy trying to create lower calorie pizza that is just as satisfying as the real thing, I have found that this is the best option.
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just work around it. I have a full pizza every week - The one's from Tesco aren't too bad for taste and are just around 850-900 calories for the entire pizza.
  • kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Cheese is the answer, thats why it is high in calories! I grew up eating Chicago style thin crust, it's a battle for me too !
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,267 Member
    Options
    Make your own. Control your ingredients and the amount of toppings. There you go. Win.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Make your own! I can make a whole 10 inch pizza for less than 800 calories.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • StretchedPiercedInked
    Options
    I'm at CiCis right now. Am I horrible?:frown:
  • AyaRowan
    AyaRowan Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead if you want "real" pizza to allow room for the calories. If you like thin crust, that will be less calories and carbs.

If you make your own, you can get thin crust whole wheat pizza crusts at some grocery stores. Alternatively you can make your own pizza crust from a variety of non-flour things. I've made cauliflower pizza crust before and it was amazing. You can also use flatbread for small pizzas, I like to use the whole wheat with flax FlatOut kind.

For toppings, make sure you get a pizza sauce that doesn't have too much added sugar. Some sauces have tons of calories. For cheese, get reduced fat when you can and don't go too crazy with it. You can do all veggies on top, or low fat turkey sausage, or my favorite which is turkey pepperoni.

Tons of ways to lighten up pizza when you make your own. But deny yourself the real deal if you have a bad craving, just eat in moderation!
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Pizza isn't that bad, really. It's only about 200-250 per slice (more depending on where you buy it. I'd wager that Brooklyn's is more around 400 lol). The problem isn't the pizza, it's that most people I know (myself included!) have trouble stopping at one slice. And two quickly brings you to 500. Three, to 750 (three seems to be the magic number for me and most people I know).

My best advice? Either order it by the slice, make it homemade (I can do that and get about 150-200 calories per big slice with thin crust opposed to non-thin), or fit the calories into your budget by preplanning when you eat pizza. Thin crust is always the best bet. And easy on the meat toppings.