Newbie Yoga at home

♥jewelchristian♥
♥jewelchristian♥ Posts: 3,666 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Afternoon everyone!

Could anyone please recommend a video or book that I can use to start doing yoga at home?

Any help is very much appreciated,

Cheers
jewel :drinker:

Replies

• UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    bump
  • Hi

I'd recommend doing an intro class to start with. In the Uk most yoga places run them fairly often for about 6 weeks and it's a really great way to get a good idea of what it's about and help prevent you hurting yourself by doing poses incorrectly. I really enjoyed the beginners class I went to but struggled with the full 90 minute class, even at beginners level, so I just stick to DVDs at home.

I found the Learn Yoga DVD by Louisa Sear and Rachel Zinman really helpful because it goes through each pose in some detail. It has a beginners class and then a full general class (which I still can't finish) so it is really worth the money. You don't need props for the beginners class other than blankets. The teaching style is detailed and clear and the poses are held for quite a long time so it is a good workout. The general class does go through sun salutations.

I also like Beginners and Beyond yoga for Weight Loss. You can choose from a number of routines of different lengths depending on what you want to target. It's a nice setting by the sea and the instructions are pretty clear. I never used this as a beginner though so don't know how easy it is to follow.

I love the AM and PM Yoga DVD by Rodney Yee and Patricia Walden. The AM routine is really just stretches but it is great to get your muscles moving in the moving and you can work harder if you wish. I use this sometimes with sun salutations added in but they're not shown on the DVD. I struggled with the PM routine until I'd done my beginners course and it's tough if you're just starting out because it doesn't show any adjustments. But ... Patricia Walden has a great voice and it's very calming so it is my serenity workout of choice. She also does some Beginners DVDs I think but I've not tried any but reckon they'd be worth a look.

I'm not a fan of Barbara Currie although others are (check out the reviews on Amazon). Her style just isn't very compatible with what I want from yoga although the exercises are definitely demanding. I'm not sure she adapts for beginners very well though.

It is worth reading reviews on Amazon because you'll get a sense of what kind of moves the routines contain and the style of teaching.

I'm never entirely sure why yoga DVDs mostly show people doing difficult or demanding poses on the cover; they just seem off putting :huh:

Good luck with your yoga and definitely stick with it. Your body will become more flexible over weeks and months. I don't think you see daily progress and I know if I stop for a while it takes me a good couple of weeks to get back to doing the more difficult poses. It's something that you probably need to do 2-3 times a week rather than once a week if possible.

Carmen
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    i used to have some flashcards that i bought at Barnes and noble. they were awesome because it was enough poses for a half hour long work out
  • Busybusybee
    Busybusybee Posts: 15 Member
    Have a look at yogajournal.com - lots of free videos and information on there.

But I really would recommend finding a good teacher and going along to at least an occasional class too.
This discussion has been closed.