Looking for a Strawberry Spinach Salad with a nice light dre

Melis25Fit
Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I'd like to bring a nice light strawberry spinach salad to Thanksgiving that's got a nice light-low cal dressing. Do you have any good recipes?

All the ones I can find look either too sugar, oily, and I'm not satisfied with that. I welcome any ideas that you might have!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    just mix balsamic vinger a little stevia or splenda and strawberry or rasberry puree
  • there is a good one on allrecipes.com and to make a dressing I just use raspberry balsamic, whatever light oil you like and some splenda for sweetness, very good.
  • beckysiz
    beckysiz Posts: 54 Member
    here's an apple spinach salad that I make all the time... you could just use the dressing recipe.

4 cups fresh baby spinach
    1 medium green-skinned apple (such as Granny Smith), cored and sliced
    1/4 cup thin wedges red onion
    2 tablespoons snipped dried tart red cherries (I use craisins)
    1/4 cup Thyme-Dijon Vinaigrette (below)
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese or blue cheese (2 ounces) (optional)

1. In a large bowl, toss together spinach, apple, onion, and dried cherries. Drizzle with Thyme-Dijon Vinaigrette. Toss gently to coat. If desired, top individual servings with cheese. Makes 4 (about 1-cup) servings.

2. Thyme-Dijon Vinaigrette: In a screw-top jar, combine 1/4 cup olive oil; 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar; 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed; 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard; and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover; shake well to mix. Chill for up to 1 week. Shake before serving. Makes 2/3 cup.

3. Make-Ahead Directions: Prepare the vinaigrette as directed. Cover and chill for up to 1 week.

If you want the dressing a little sweeter you can add honey or I like to use splenda blend.

Nutrition Facts Per Serving:

* Calories93
    * Total Fat (g)6
    * Saturated Fat (g)1
    * Cholesterol (mg)0
    * Sodium (mg)96
    * Carbohydrate (g)11
    * Fiber (g)2
    * Protein (g)1
    * Vitamin A (DV%)0
    * Vitamin C (DV%)0
    * Calcium (DV%)0
    * Iron (DV%)0
    Diabetic Exchanges
    * Fruit (d.e.).5
    * Vegetables (d.e.)1
    * Fat (d.e.)1
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    We always use raspberry balsamic, a splash of oil, non-fat honey mustard for sweetness, and a tiny bit of FF mayo to make it a little creamier. You can add honey or stevia too if you like your dressing sweet. Some ground pepper and that's it. Serve with spinach, red onion, cucumber, bell pepper, strawberry, orange segments and some goat/feta cheese or toasted almonds. Always a great treat :smile:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I just use the light raspberry vinaigrette too -- spinach and strawberry salad is SO yummy it doesn't need much. (I also like to do other mix-ins... mandarin oranges, red onions, feta, sunflower seeds... yum!)
  • I have a strawberry and chicken spinach salad my mom makes, it's delicious! Even my boyfriend likes it!!! haha

6oz rotissari chicken (without skin)
    6 cups baby spinach and baby romain mixed
    4 Tbsp slivered almonds
    1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
    1 cup sliced strawberries

Mix all together and enjoy! We usually use Kraft Poppyseed dressing with that. It's not very low cal but it's great with the strawberries and feta cheese. In two Tbsp there are 130 cals. However you could use any kind of light vinegarette like some of the recipes listed by others :)
  • Megooo19
    Megooo19 Posts: 199
    I make an orange poppyseed dressing for Strawberry Spinach Salads.

Ingredients:
    Plain Fat Free Greek Yogurt 4 oz. or 1/2 cup
    Orange Juice Concentrate 1/4 cup
    Poppy Seeds 2 tbsp.
    Honey 1 tbsp.

Whisk together and refrigerate 20 minutes before using.

Makes about 6 servings for me which comes out to 47 calories, 7 carbs, 1 gram of fat, 12 sodium.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
    I JUST got a recipe from the low-fat living cookbook for spinach salad with orange vinaigrette. I'm actually going to make it for dinner tonight so I can't tell you how it tastes but it sounds good.

2 T orange juice
    2 T walnut oil (can use olive oil)
    2 T white-wine vinegar
    1/2 t grated orange rind
    salt and ground pepper to taste
    4 heads Belgian endive, separated into leaves
    5 oz. spinach, thick stems removed
    2 naval oranges, pelled and cut into bite sized pieces
    1/2 c dried cranberries
    1/4 c chopped toasted walnuts.

Whisk together first 5 ingred. In a large bowl, combine remaining ingred and toss with dressing.

Makes 6 servings;
    121 calories
    7.8 g. fat
    3.3 g protein
    11 g carb.
    4.3 fiber
    34 mg. sodium

Recipe says you can replace the spinach with arugula or radicchio and can replace the oranges with strawberries, raspberries or another juicy fruit. I personally do not like endive so will just use more spinach and will probably add some red onion.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,559 Member
    I make an orange poppyseed dressing for Strawberry Spinach Salads.

Ingredients:
    Plain Fat Free Greek Yogurt 4 oz. or 1/2 cup
    Orange Juice Concentrate 1/4 cup
    Poppy Seeds 2 tbsp.
    Honey 1 tbsp.

Whisk together and refrigerate 20 minutes before using.

Makes about 6 servings for me which comes out to 47 calories, 7 carbs, 1 gram of fat, 12 sodium.

Oh, this sounds yummy!!
This discussion has been closed.