Blisters: to pop or not to pop?

Options
ShibaEars
ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
I did a run today and got a couple nasty blisters. There's one on each foot, on the inside just below my big toe. One is a blood blister & both hurt a lot. (I've tried 4 different pairs of shoes over the last year and I always end up with blisters here :frown: )

Family members are telling me to pop them, but I didn't think you were supposed to and they're so sensitive at this point that that sounds excruciating.

So, what do you do with your blisters? Do you leave 'em or pop 'em?

Replies

• aal254
    aal254 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Popping a blister can sometimes lead to infection if germs or dirt get into the wound it leaves. If they aren't too large or painful, it's best to leave them alone, but if they are a problem the Mayo Clinic recommends to

-Wash your hands and the blister with soap and warm water.
    -Swab the blister with iodine or rubbing alcohol.
    -Sterilize a clean, sharp needle by wiping it with rubbing alcohol.
    -Use the needle to puncture the blister. Aim for several spots near the blister's edge. Let the fluid drain, but leave the overlying skin in place.
    -Apply an antibiotic ointment to the blister and cover with a bandage or gauze pad.
    -Cut away all the dead skin after several days, using tweezers and scissors sterilized with rubbing alcohol. Apply more ointment and a bandage.

I've never had one that was bad enough for me to risk it (I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, and also a little squeamish), but if it's enough to keep you from walking, I'd say go for it.
  • tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    If they are huge and painful I usually stick a pin in to drain them, but always leave the skin on. If you can use topical antibiotics (I can't) that would be good to put on after.

Have you tried taping the area before hand? I remember that was something that always helped me, when I remembered to do it.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    if it happened to me I would wash my feet with a mild soap, then soak them in lukewarm water with a few drops of tea tree oil then let them air dry elevated. If you have to drain them they will drain easier after a soak, and the tea tree oil will diminish chance of infection. Put antibiotic ointment on them and wear light cotton socks that you won't mind if they get drained on later. Hope the run was fun at least!
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Once you pop you can't stop....just saying :laugh:
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Once you pop you can't stop....just saying :laugh:
    :laugh: I always pop them, because they wind up popping at a bad time anyway. I keep it covered with a bandage afterward and keep it cleaned to avoid infection.