A Good Reason To Buy A HRM

kentlass
kentlass Posts: 325 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
i have been using my treadmill for about 6months now, my workouts usually total up to between 1300-1500 according to the treadmill

upon hitting a stop with the weightloss i noticed posts mentioning that machines can be wrong when it comes to estimated calorie burn

so i invested in a HRM(polar ft4) and upon doing my usual 1500cals i checked the monitor and i've only actually burnt 900!!

for anyone relying on a machine for a calorie estimate i would strongly suggest a HRM, i had no idea i was burning so little!

Replies

• pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    hey,

thanks for the suggestion - I was thinking of getting one.. What make is the oe you have, and I assume you would recommend it?!
  • kentlass
    mine is a polar ft4....i very much recommend it

i was absolutely devastated today that i wasn't burning as much as i thought, and with 2 babies i just don't have the time to do more, but it's great knowing exactly how much i am burning and how badly the machines are over-estimating
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    I wholeheartedly agree. I love mine (Polar FT7) and can't workout without it. The machines at my gym pick up my heart rate without having to grip the handles. Plus I can workout at home to a DVD or other stuff and still be able to calculate accurately. Good for you!
  • pamp1emousse
    pamp1emousse Posts: 282 Member
    I definitely second this. I was entering my weight 2kgs lower into the machines and burning an extra 10%, hoping it would make my estimates more accurate. When I got my HRM I realised I was only burning 50-75% of what I thought! The stairmaster was my new best friend for 3 precious weeks when I thought I was burning 400 calories in a 25 minute workout... but no. It was only actually about 250 :noway:
  • FSO1
    FSO1 Posts: 2
    all the exercise in the world doesn't help if you don't cut calories in a consistent manner, i.e., life style change.
  • kentlass
    True FS01 which is why my intake is rarely over 1200calories and when it is over never more than 1800
This discussion has been closed.