Becoming Vegetarian

Options
Okay so I want to become Vegetarian :3

Every time i eat red meat i feel like im about to puke or get disgusted and sick while eating it which causes me to stop

the problem is that I come from a My mom always cooks food that has red meat on it. Sometimes she would cook just veggie pasta but thats sometime when i ask for it. And everytime i try i always loose track and eat some.
So far what im trying to do is to just eat either chicken and fish but like i said its hard

Do you guys have any tips on how it can transfer to being vegetarian ? or any websites that have vegetarian recepies?
(DISCLAIMER:I know eating chicken and fish is not considered vegetarian. Its just for now till i transfer to it nice and slow XD)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Step 1: tell everyone you come in contact with that you are a vegetarian
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options

Step 2: Don't listen to people who are trying to be condescending about your health.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Step 3: Research how to meet all your macro's as a vegetarian.
  • DavPul
    Options

Step 2: Don't listen to people who are trying to be condescending about your health.

Step #4: don't confuse "stop eating meat" with "eating healthier" as they are not one and the same
  • DavPul
    Options
    Step #5: buy and cook your own meals and stop blaming your parents.

(I may have to switch the order of #1 and #5)
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options

Step #4: don't confuse "stop eating meat" with "eating healthier" as they are not one and the same

Step 5: Help people learn to read correctly and not assume things that weren't said.

Plus, she is looking for help/advice so if you don't have anything constructive to say, what are you doing in this thread?

Oh, and OP try to pick up the cook book from "Forks over Knives" as it has lots of super yummy recipes that even my family enjoys. They are also super simple too, which everyone like :smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Step 6: try other cuts of meat and/or other meat recipes after researching vegetarianism. because it's a challenge but doable. However, if your only issue is gag (not moralistic), you might just not be that into meat. It might be cooked to a temp you are not a fan of, or a manner you are not crazy about.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

hahaha
    And yes, I had a friend that went vegetarian....she eventually had to give it up because she became severely anemic. I know some very fat and unhealthy vegans and vegetarians.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Step number 7 or 8 but probably 9 or 10 by the time I'm done writing this....while you look into other meat recipes to see if you actually like meat, try to avoid any scary articles when researching vegetarianism that are anti meat. Try to make your decisions on how to proceed objectively.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Step number 7 or 8 but probably 9 or 10 by the time I'm done writing this....while you look into other meat recipes to see if you actually like meat, try to avoid any scary articles when researching vegetarianism that are anti meat. Try to make your decisions on how to proceed objectively.

I like you. :happy:
  • tulipzz
    tulipzz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian all my life. I can help you with recipies :)

Do you like Indian food?

Quick fixes: falafel wraps, salads, sandwiches, curry+rice, soups, noodles

PS: I must add that I am not anaemic. No one in my all veg family is anaemic. You need to include a lot of green vegetables in your diet. You will be fine.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    edited: to remove sarcasm (which wasn't helpful).

OP: maybe do some dietary research into vegetarianism from a website more specific to your questions: "The Vegetarian Society", or "The Vegan Society":

https://www.vegsoc.org/
    http://www.vegansociety.com/
  • CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I can also help with ideas/recipies/diet if interested. Good luck!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Step 11. Move thread to Food and Nutrition.

Unless vegetarianism is some exciting new kind of workout.
  • rainydays5
    rainydays5 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This is very good advice! Last May I decided to go pescatarian. I thought I was doing really well until one morning while waiting for one of my daughters to come out of the bathroom, I passed out. I have never passed out before and it freaked me out. I would love to try it again but now I have the fear of passing out.
    Step 3: Research how to meet all your macro's as a vegetarian.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Step 11. Move thread to Food and Nutrition.

Unless vegetarianism is some exciting new kind of workout.

See, that should have been step 1. Or, even prior to step 1. A pre-step, if you will.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1. In.

2. Has anyone compiled the current step list? I had trouble keeping track of the numbers and want to ensure we're all working with the same current list.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    1. In.

2. Has anyone compiled the current step list? I had trouble keeping track of the numbers and want to ensure we're all working with the same current list.

I nominate Jof to compile the list. It seems to be a task that would suit his skills.

Any objections?

So carried.
  • candyinmyheels
    candyinmyheels Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    cook/prepare your own meals. or offer to cook something for the whole family that's vegetarian if you have the time. I was a vegetarian all through high school and i cooked most of my own everything.
    make friends with beans/legumes and nuts (and optional dairy) for your protein needs.
    it's completely do-able, and there are so many resources now. find a cookbook or website that excites you and get cooking!
    I've recently rediscovered this giant cookbook i have by deborah madison "the vegetarian cookbook for everyone" and i'm loving it. "the moosewood cookbook" is another classic. and i really like theppk.com (vegan recipes), you can always sub in some dairy in the recipes if you don't want to go vegan. her (isa chandra moskowitz) cookbooks have lots of great basic tips too.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Do some research on Vegetarianism.
    There are a lot of resources. China Study is very interesting- but kinda Nerdy :bigsmile:
    Movie on Netflix- Forks over knives- gives you a good picture of what meat is doing to our bodies. They do talk about the fat vegetarians too- If you dont eat a variety of veggies...that will happen. Its easy to carb load on a vegetarian diet. If you decide to go vegetarian for health reasons- or preference just know people will ALWAYS talk about why they eat meat. They will say...ugh I cant live without meat...or something along that line. Be true to yourself and your own belief regaurdless of why you choose to fuel your body how you do- never justify it to another.

**B12 supplements are easy to find...I suggest taking them if you decide to go vegetarian and exclude chicken and fish.