I'm new to weight loss /exercise. Help?

Options
Hey guys

My name is Barbie!

I'm new to this whole weightloss thing. My current goal right now is to lose almost 100lbs. I started with a nutrition class once a week and an exercise class twice a week for an hour right now through work. I'm out of shape I have a heart disease and I'm recovering from a broken ankle...on top of all of this I have NO idea how to work out or how to lose weight safely and effectively.

I've also recently relocated for work (my first real job) and graduated college. I figured this would be the perfect time for me to change my lifestyle but I'm looking for some help.

What kinds of exercises help you lose weight?
Do you have suggestions for keeping a regular schedule?
Any websites you recommend for healthy recipes?
What keeps you motivated?
Are there any tips, hints, tricks or advice you have to offer me as I begin my journey?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Replies

• hooah13m
    hooah13m Posts: 29
    Options
    Hello, not the best at quick explanations like this but here goes nothing!

Exercises: For weight loss I think that HIIT (high intensity interval training), regular cardio, and strength training help a lot! I can give you some if you want :) you'd just have to tell me what you can't do in your current condition (the whole ankle and all)

keeping a schedule: I personally like to set a time I like and then force myself to follow it. Guess its not the most amazing plan, but if you keep at this then hopefully it becomes a habit that you follow instantly (like getting used to waking up early for work!)

Websites for meals: now this one...I'll be honest, i'm not the best cook but I used to use allrecipes.com and I also like the ones put on that paleo website (think you just google paleo and it comes up) otherwise I just wing it, keep away from simple carbs and you should do pretty good!

motivation!: I'm a pretty pumped up person! I just tell myself that with each workout I come closer to being ninja-like. I also tell myself confidence boosting things like, "If I complete these planks I will totally rock this shirt" or "oh hey girl, are these pants feeling a bit...loose? *wink* *wink*" It also helps to have that buddy who hounds you into doing workouts or joins in with your complaining to give a bit of companionship!

well, I say don't always worry about the number on the scale. I think that measurements show the most improvement, especially because our bodies carry weight differently. (for example I have a 26/27" waist but weigh 145, which by BMI standards is overweight or barely normal, I forget) I also recommend reducing your simple carb intake (flour, sugar, rice, starchy foods, ect.) because those can cause your body to retain water.

If this helped at all then feel free to message me for more elaboration or if you have any questions my vague answer didn't help with :)

GOOD LUCK!!
  • KelseyBee2014
    KelseyBee2014 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hey Barbie! Nice to meet you! :) Friend me if you want.

For exercising, I like to take my dog on 2-4+ mile walks (sometimes I bring a friend!) which burns 200-400 calories depending on how fast you walk. Then I try to head to the gym and weight lift. for an hour to an hour and a half. Whatever you do... lifting is the most important! (followed closely by nutrition then cardio.) Make sure you are eating in a calorie deficit though! Follow MFP's guidelines and always try to stay below them. :) You can still eat everything you love (though try to keep the junk food to a minimum!) but in moderation and just make sure it stays under you're calories for the day. If you are under your calories after exercising and you are still hungry you can eat back some of your exercise calories as well. :) I eat them if I'm hungry, I don't eat them back if I'm not unless my net cals are really low.

I have most of my free time in the night (I'm not a morning person!) so I usually take my dog out an hour to two before the sun sets, and then head to the gym and hour to a hour and a half before the gym closes at 10 because that's when I prefer to go. And I usually go every night that I can if I'm not working or busy with something else. You just have to find what works for you! :)

What keeps me motivated is thinking about how I much better I will feel when I'm at a healthier weight. Also: make sure to take your before pictures! You will regret it if you don't some day! And as another poster said, make sure to measure yourself! That will be the best indicator for the weight you are losing instead of the number on the scale! :)

Good luck!
  • justisroyster
    justisroyster Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is the key to successful weight loss. Start out low impact with your workouts as well. It's not how much you eat, it's what you eat. Try meal replacement shakes. They fill you up and help you crave less. Vitamin B helps you gain the energy needed to put in work. I like to grill lean chicken breasts and put it in salad. Stay away from ranch and or blue cheese
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    There is a topic in this section that you will see referenced time and again by folks that have lost hundreds, yes hundreds of pounds.
    At the top it is "The guide to getting started on your path to sexypants". Read it.
    In this thread there are links to other threads with very good information.
    Good luck to you. Being new to all of this is intimidating. Do some homework, start with a plan and go with it.
    Feel free to add me as a friend...you can see my diet and exercise diaries and get some ideas.
    Tip...viewing others diaries also can give you info on what may work for you.
    :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    What kinds of exercises help you lose weight?
    Do you have suggestions for keeping a regular schedule?
    Any websites you recommend for healthy recipes?
    What keeps you motivated?
    Are there any tips, hints, tricks or advice you have to offer me as I begin my journey?

Exercise isn't about weight loss...it's about health. You can exercise all you want but if you eat too much you won't lose weight.

Regular schedule of exercise? Find something you love...

food...it doesn't matter what you eat to lose weight just stay in a calorie deficit
    Motivation, I used to read success stories...now I look in the mirror...and my closet since I have no "fat" clothes left.

Buy a food scale and weigh your portions...log consistently and accurately....if you choose to exercise log it here and eat some of those calories back...