Training for a marathon next year?

Options
I'm relatively experienced with running, but I haven't done it for a while, and never in an event. I want to train to do the San Diego Rock N Roll Marathon next year, but I have the feeling I won't make it that far. I'm going to start running tomorrow morning and work on distance. I guess I'm posting this so I feel more obligated to do it.

Anybody else training for a race that wants to post some progress?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Define experienced with running and what a while is since you've done it.
  • hdlewis22
    hdlewis22 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm physically fit and capable of running 10 miles or so. I haven't run since I moved 3 months ago.
  • hdlewis22
    Options
    So, last night I sorted out my clothes to see what I could wear while running. I found a nice pair of reversible basketball shorts (sadly, no pockets), my least cotton boxers (55% cotton, 45% polyester), and a 90% polyester shirt (sadly long sleeve, but I rolled it up). At least I still had a pair of fitting shoes that weren't beat up.

This morning at 7am, I ran 3.4 miles in 44 minutes. That's 4.6 miles/hour and a 12:56 mile. Not the best, but I'm hoping to increase my running/walking ratio and quicken the pace soon. That's all for now. Wish me the best.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You were capable of running ten miles ... it seems you're currently at about 3.5 miles of a run/walk. Before signing up for the San Diego marathon, do you have the time to train enough to meet your goals in ten months? If not, I'd recommend focusing on a half rather than the full. Look at the training plans and be honest with yourself about both your ability and time available.
  • hdlewis22
    Options
    I thought that starting my training at 10 mile runs was a bit of a leap. I didn't mean to say that I could run 10 miles without walking, but I have been on 10-15 mile hikes before and jogged most of the way. I'm going to work my way up from there. I've been reading a lot about marathon training and I think the time I've allotted is more than generous.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think you can do îf you put your set out and train hard. What I've noticed is that you could have amazing muscle memory. At my peak, a year and a half ago I had done two half marathons. I stopped running in December 2012 due to multiple surgeries. I picked up C25k again and was amazed that I was able to skip much of the "training". I'm going to do my first race in over a year next week :D. My muscles remembered and I can even do a mile at 14 mins (my best was 10, not fast but not bad). My eventual goal is to do the Bidwell Classic in Chico in March.
  • beckyboyes
    beckyboyes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do it, you can do anything you set your mind to. I also find it helps if you book a race and then you have something to work towards. What you need to do is find a good marathon training plan which is normally about 4 months of training which will see you run about 4 times a week. A good plan will see you run 3 miles at the very beginning and will gradually build you up to Marathon distance. I did this for my 1st Marathon and couldnt have done it without following one. Good Luck