Weekend Woes/cheat days

Options
I don't know what it is about weekends, but I always struggle to keep it under control..... I'm ULTRA strict all week and by the time the weekend comes, I have problems with the 'extras', you know, those little bites that you have and don't think they count.

Also, do people have cheat days?? Cheat Meals once a week? I find I almost need at least 1 meal so that I don't obsess but know that it often turns into more!!!

Replies

• modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If I go over my calories by 100-200 one day a week I don't sweat it. It's usually friday or saturday night when I squeeze in an extra drink or so.

However, I do make sure I exercise on those days.
  • BughaBear
    Options
    I dont know if u call them cheat days but I dont really exercise much durin the wkend but I do still count my calories.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Saturday evening/night is my cheat time! I eat whatever I want, drink whatever I want, and try not to care too too much. I still try to track everything, just cuz I like to know. And oddly enough, I always seem to have lost weight come Sunday morning! lol
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    Options
    I don't do "cheat" days...I find that if I'm overly strict or cautious I tend to overdo it when I get fed up. Instead, I don't completely deprive myself-I have a small piece of dark chocolate every day, or add flavored honey to my fruit or tea, and then I don't end up with too many calories on Saturday night because I can't take it any more!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Weekends are for chilling out and relaxing is the only thing I can think of.

Not trying to sound nuts, but maybe you are a little too strict all week? I tried that once....total wipe out! I was so crazy for food I went a little bonkers on the weekends and got so frustrated I just gave up.

Now I have learned portion control. I eat "normal" foods. I just cook them a little healthier. I do a lot of from scratch items.

The BLT's can mount up. I've never been one to just have a "little bite" or a "little taste" of anything. Made me want more. So now I have a small portion of whatever "it" happens to be.

Hugs from Michigan!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Now I have learned portion control. I eat "normal" foods. I just cook them a little healthier. I do a lot of from scratch items.

Everything you said pretty much rings true for me also. This quoted sentence especially. Good advice!
  • GDrazenovich
    Options
    Every exercise routine and program I know suggests having a cheat meal (not cheat day) once a week. The reason is because depriving yourself and feeling guilty, etc. will be counter-productive. Plus having a cheat meal (burger king, cinnamon roll, extra pie, whatever) will not make a big difference overall if you are eating clean the rest of the time and exercising daily.

Personally, I favour HIIT exercise (High Intensity Interval Training)
  • numberscolors
    Options
    i don't make a cheat meal or a cheat day a weekly (or even monthly) ritual that i get to look forward too because i'm trying not to reward myself with food. but i don't deny myself a small portion of something if i REALLY want it. i also agree with an earlier poster about eating "normal" foods and eating mostly things i cook myself.

another nice thing: the longer i go with out putting excessive amounts of processed food "products", sugary sweets, and greasy salty what-have-yous, the less i actually want them.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Weekends are always the toughest. Time to relax a bit which leads to enjoying yourself food wise. I remember with Weight Watchers and Fit for Life they recommended taking one day of the weekend off to each whatever you want. I know many who do that and maintain their weight loss. But since I have so much to lose, I'm not doing that yet.
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I know some people swear by it, but I personally don't do it. I guess I believe in the old saying of "once a cheater, always a cheater" (at least when it applies to nutrition and health) and in the long run, you're only cheating yourself.

I LOVE chocolate. Chocolate is my weakness. I could seriously sit there and eat a 5lbs bag of chocolate and nothing else for the day and feel fabulous. Key word: COULD. I don't do it because I know it isn't healthy for me. It's also not going to help me achieve my goals.

Yes, you may think one meal, or one day won't matter... but one time quickly turns into two, or three, or throw your entire progress into the trash. Its also important to remember that it takes your body time to respond. Of course you won't immediately see the results, negative or positive, the next morning. But, you will over the next few weeks.

I have a package of my FAVORITE chocolate in my fridge. Delicious dark chocolate Dove squares. I also have a package of Hersey's Bliss squares and 2 Hersey bars. Guess what, I haven't touched them. I'm proud of the fact I can have my FAVORITE chocolate at arm's reach but not reach for it. Its a good feeling. I promise it feels better than cheating does... and I'm continuing to drop sizes.

I noticed in your signature that you look at weight loss like I do, each 10 pounds at a time. I always think, Goodbye 160s, 150s, etc as well. Maybe this will help you too, this is what I do. I told myself that when I reach the 140s I can have either some chocolate, or pizza. Since they're both foods that I love and gave up during my 'fat burning phase'. I chose the 140s because I'm in the 150s right now. Knowing that I'm sooooo close to the 140s gives me the motivation to hold on and not eat the chocolate, or go get a pizza. And, in the long run, I know that reaching my goal will make me happier than any piece of chocolate could.

Hang in there, you're doing really good.