Squash ideas

Options
Aeriel
Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
I am trying to introduce more squash to my meal plan and I am loving most of the varieties I have tried. Looking for some new ideas.

Just came up with one today. I can't remember the name of the squash, but it is not the common ones (spaghetti, acorn or butternut). I cooked it a few days ago and was looking for an idea for left overs. I had 1/2 cup of it (145g) on a plate and thinly sliced 15g of cheddar cheese over it, then heated/melted in the microwave....yummy snack, good for me and only 114 calories!

Anyone else have some healthy ways to prepare squash that I can try on my family?

Replies

• nellajane24
    nellajane24 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    For spaghetti squash, I use that instead of spaghetti noodles. Even my husband loves it, and he is a carb lover. For butternut squash, I cook and mash them, with a little Brummel and Brown butter, salt, and pepper, and eat those in place of mashed potatoes. Pretty typical, i know, but these are the norm in our house!
  • numberscolors
    Options
    stuffed delicata squash! i think this close to the recipe my mom uses. it's 526 calories per serving, but very filling. you could probably switch out some ingredients to make it lower fat/lower cal, etc...
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001842377

butternut squash soup is one of my favorites. and butternut squash pie, instead of pumpkin pie. you could do roasted squash and sweet potato as a side dish. you probably wouldn't need butter or any kind of seasoning because it's so sweet and flavorful!

good luck!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I like acorn and winter squash with butter and brown sugar...mmmmm!
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I just recently have been trying different squashes, too. Try searching for healthy squash recipes--you will find LOTS of them!

Here's one of my favorite sites--I've tried a number of these recipes and they are really good!

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=48#nutritionalprofile
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    I have tried some different things that have turned out rather tasty.....a little olive oil and parmesan on butternut squash. Another that I have done with delicata squash is glaze with lime, butter and chili powder. You really don't need alot of the glaze and it gives a really good flavor. I found the recipe online. I also like the brown sugar and butter (who wouldn't) for acorn squash but I also add a little curry powder for an extar zip.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Pasta with Butternut Parmesan Sauce

I just made this for dinner last night. IT WAS SO GOOD! The calorie break down is in my food diary. I felt like it was reasonable for my intake. It tasted way more indulgent than it was, even though it was very indulgent. Does that make sense? It actually tasted a lot like mac n' cheese. In fact I think butternut squash will be making a regular appearance in my mac from now on.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pasta_with_butternut_parmesan_sauce/
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Butternut - I peel it, dice it and bake it with cumin seeds Mmmmmm :bigsmile:
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I saute zucchini and yellow squash in canola oil. The canola oil is light in flavor and has the heart healthy omega fats we need.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas.....definitely some I will be trying out soon!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Save, I want to come back to this thread!