Twice a day workout. Does it work?

Options
davypr86
davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
All things being equal (dieting and lifestyle), does working out twice a day make a difference?

For instance, instead of workout out one straight hour, you work out 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. Will you burn more calories that way?

If heard that it does, but I've found no reliable study.

Any input is welcomed.

Replies

• redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    no idea about whether it burns more calories or not, i'm sure you could find studies for and against. there's also plenty of articles and things out there about best times of day to workout. I've seen it said that it's better to do a few short bursts throughout the day when you can if you have a busy schedule, and others that say to do that whether you're busy or not as it's 'beneficial.' Then I've seen stuff that says working out in the morning is better, and others that say afternoon. So not really sure. With this sort of thing I would rather ignore the science and just go with what works best for me and my schedule.

I like the idea of splitting workouts within a day so that I don't have to get up too early, or lose too much of my evening. I have recently started doing this occasionally, doing 20 mins of bodyweight exercises in the morning with a bit of jump rope thrown in, and a half hour to an hour run, walk or cycle in the evenings a few days a week. I really enjoy it and feel more energised during the day.

I'd say that you do what works best for you - give it a try and see how you feel. The best workout is the one that you will actually do, so whether you prefer a long session or a few short ones, at least you're moving! :smile:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    It's fiddling around the edges.

Just do it which ever way will allow you to stick with it and be consistent. That's where the magic happens. Not whether you may burn 20 more cals or less a session.

Nail your diet. Get your workouts in. Time passes. Profit.

Anything else is fiddling whilst Rome burns...
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    It means you'll need to do more laundry.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Ha ha!

Or just turn things inside out...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    the more you work out the more calories you burn....given the same intensity for every minute of every workout. Its that simple. If you split it into the morning and night...thats great...or if you do it all at once...thats great too.

Lifting wise...i like to get all my muscle demolition done on a particular muscle in one session and then let it rest for a few days. Cardiowise...i'll go run or something whenever I feel like it.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options

Haaaa. Good point.

If breaking up your workouts makes you workout harder than you would if you were burned out at minute 50 of 60, then break it up into two. Otherwise, you probably won't see any massive changes.
  • TheMotivator123
    Options
    All things being equal (dieting and lifestyle), does working out twice a day make a difference?

For instance, instead of workout out one straight hour, you work out 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night. Will you burn more calories that way?

If heard that it does, but I've found no reliable study.

Any input is welcomed.

hey bro first what are your goals? If you train in morning doing fasted cardio then yea you will burn more fat. Are you trying to bulk, lean or stay the same?
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    There was an article about this in Men's Health a couple of years ago with suggested split cardio routines to maximise fat loss. The idea being that you ramp up your heart rate (and, briefly, your metabolism) twice per day. It was based upon studies I seem to remember but like I say, it was a couple of years ago now so I can't remember it verbatim! Perhaps you can find the article though?
  • runningforicecream
    Options

This. And also for me, I'd have to wash and blow dry my hair twice.
  • davypr86
    davypr86 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There was an article about this in Men's Health a couple of years ago with suggested split cardio routines to maximise fat loss. The idea being that you ramp up your heart rate (and, briefly, your metabolism) twice per day. It was based upon studies I seem to remember but like I say, it was a couple of years ago now so I can't remember it verbatim! Perhaps you can find the article though?

The answers have been interesting. Thanks everyone.

I'll see if I can find something and I'll post it.

If anybody has any input, it is welcomed.

I workout in the mornings doing Insanity. I've already lost 61 lbs with Beachbody, but I want to lose another 20 lbs. But I am feeling a bit stuck, so I am considering pushing myself further if it does make a difference.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options

This. And also for me, I'd have to wash and blow dry my hair twice.

I work at a job with no dress code. And I sit apart from my three coworkers. My boss doesn't care if I leave on lunch hour to work out and come back sweaty. Which is great. I usually do cardio on lunch and something else after work. If I had to change every time, I probably wouldn't be able to handle it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Ha ha!

Or just turn things inside out...

Or make the twofer include swimming, so you're pristine when the swim session is over. ;)
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options

I workout in the mornings doing Insanity. I've already lost 61 lbs with Beachbody, but I want to lose another 20 lbs. But I am feeling a bit stuck, so I am considering pushing myself further if it does make a difference.

Focus on your diet then, it'll get you better results.
  • jimmmer
    Options

Focus on your diet then, it'll get you better results.

This can't be repeated often enough.

Diet for weight loss; training for being awesome.

Anyway, you'll reap diminishing returns from a bunch of extra exercise. You'll eventually end up with various ligament and tendon issues. In the end you'll struggle to complete your normal workout schedule, let alone your "enhanced" one.

It's a common mistake to think that because something's good, then more of it must be better. That way of thinking may apply to stuff like sex, but not to training...