It's Just Another Tapering Question!

Options
Hi all,

I've done some rudimetary research on the net, but my brain is fried from different sources.

One thing they all seem to agree on, is that tapering is pretty essential in the run up to a large event.

This weekend I'll be hking 100km in a 30 hour time frame and I'd just like to a) check I got things right and b) see if people have suggestions for a couple of questions I have :)

So, I'm hoping that some MFPers out there with tapering experience can help me a little. I messed it up last year and I want to get it right this year. We're t-1 week from event and I began tapering in terms of output last week.

1. The point of tapering is to ensure that muscles are properly repaired? In my training routine I've been including 3-4 weight training sessions per week. Given a 75% reduction in exercise from full training (in my final week of taper) - would it be beneficial to go lift weights once this week? Or given I have a habit of dropping weights on myself, should I stay out of the weights room?

2. Cardio. Week 3 was 40km dedicated training. Week 2 was 18km training - should week 3 therefore be 9km training?

3. Swimming. I usually swim 5 x week. I dropped that to 3 x week about t-5 weeks to go (with increased levels of hiking in the training it seemed silly to keep up the usual routine). Last week I didn't swim due to outside reasons. So in the final week - is swimming a good idea? It seems like it would be given I'm conditioned for swimming and it's low impact....

On the matter of fuel....

I've been training on a 1940kcal diet, with 2x 2440 kcal days per week. On days where my burn has exceeded 1000kcal I've eaten some of those back. The plan has been to eat at 2440 calories all week - but is this a good idea in preparation or am I being wilful in my beliefs? ;)

Additionally, I eat 40c/30f/30p. Should this change in the run up week or just on that final 24 hours before the event?

Thoughts/suggestions/answers are all welcome :) (and encouraged!!)

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I run marathons, but I think the same principles would apply to your hiking. It looks like you've got your taper dialed in pretty good. Part of tapering is to reduce the intensity as well as the distance. As you noted, this about giving your muscles a little extra repair time. Your weight lifting shouldn't be an issue, just back off the weight a bit, and your swimming should be fine as well. Nutrition wise, this is not the time to be making significant changes to what you eat. Keeping the same calories while reducing your exercise will give you a chance to store a little more in your reserves.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Ah that's brilliant, thanks Hermann! :) I'll keep on the straight and narrow nutrition-wise and dial back the intensity/duration of what I'm doing.

Thanks for the helpful response! :)