Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins

Options
JillTwiss
JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
I saw these on Facebook today and thought I've got to try them. :smile: I'm making them in a few minutes.:heart:
http://www.treetop.com/RecipeDetail.aspx?ID=352&CategoryID=28

Oatmeal Apple Sauce Muffins
Makes about 18 muffins
There's an apple sauce surprise inside each muffin.

Ingredients:

* 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
* ¾ cup quick cooking rolled oats
* ¼ cup sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* ¼ teaspoon salt
* 2¼ cup Tree Top or Seneca Apple Sauce, divided
* ¼ cup milk
* 1 egg, beaten
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* ½ cup raisins (optional)

Enjoy for breakfast, at lunch-time or an anytime snack.
Directions:
Combine flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Combine 1½ cups apple sauce, milk, egg and oil; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir only until moistened. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray; fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter. Make a slight depression in top of each muffin; fill with 1 tbsp. apple sauce. Bake at 400°F about 25 minutes or until golden on top.

recipey.jpg

Replies

• suzi67
    suzi67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bump, let me know how they turn out. I have some applesauce in my fridge that needs to be used up...:tongue:
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Bump! These sound awesome! Let me know how they turn out too because I need to find healthier options to muffins and such.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    These sound great, thanks! I've burned myself out on banana oatmeal muffins, so these will be a nice change.
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Did you make them and how did they turn out?
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I was in the baking mood and went right to my kitchen to make these, thanks for the recipe.

I modified them a bit (added vanilla, reduced oil by ½, reduced applesauce by ½ cup, used sweetener instead of sugar, skim milk instead of 1% and egg beaters instead of an egg) mainly b/c the instant oats I have are higher in calories than the more common Quaker kind so I compensated.

I came up with 7 jumbo muffins which made them 3 WW points each.

I added the recipe to MFP, ‘Jumbo Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins - 3 WW Points’, I’m just waiting 20 more minutes until they are done to add a photo and tell you if they were any good (batter tasted good so I have high hopes).

I'll be back by 9:40 to let ya'll know ;)
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I will be making these either tonight or in the morning.
  • JillTwiss
    Options
    Ok, I made them. It didn't make 18, it only made 12, so here's the updated nutritional content:
    recipe2.jpg
    And here's what the finished product looked like before I ate it :laugh:
    15524617256281450251368.jpg
    I really liked it. It would have been even better with some cinnamon sprinkled on top but either I have no cinnamon or I can't find it.
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    those look great!
    I have put these into the recipe calculator with the ingredients i have and plan to use. If it makes 12 muffins then mine will be 112 calories each. I'm planning to reduce the oil to 1 tbsp and use olive oil. I'm going to use skim milk, brown sugar, and lite cinnamon applesauce (only 1 1/2 cups) and sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar instead of putting the applesauce on top. I'm also going to add a splash of maple extract. I'll post pics and the results after I bake them.

thanks for sharing this recipe with us!
  • JillTwiss
    Options
    those look great!
    I have put these into the recipe calculator with the ingredients i have and plan to use. If it makes 12 muffins then mine will be 112 calories each. I'm planning to reduce the oil to 1 tbsp and use olive oil. I'm going to use skim milk, brown sugar, and lite cinnamon applesauce (only 1 1/2 cups) and sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar instead of putting the applesauce on top. I'm also going to add a splash of maple extract. I'll post pics and the results after I bake them.

thanks for sharing this recipe with us!
    Oooh, that sounds good! Next time I'll change it up a little too. Let us know how that turns out!
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Ok, so they are out of the oven and several eaten ;)

As mentioned above, I made several modifications to make the original recipe healthier (albeit with higher caloric instant oats), next time I may even reduce the amount of applesauce b/c they are extremely moist, almost gooie inside but still delicious.

DH really liked them and he is not a muffin fan + he really doesn’t like when I use applesauce in baking (usually to replace the oil) but loved these so yes, I would make them again b/c of how simple they are, you probably already have all the ingredients sitting around.

Again, I added my version of this recipe to MFP, ‘Jumbo Oatmeal Applesauce Muffins - 3 WW Points’ 177 cals, 3 g fat, 5 g fiber.

Picture-1.jpg
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    Ok, I made them. It didn't make 18, it only made 12, so here's the updated nutritional content:

Your total didn't include the sugar as per your original recipe.
  • TracieJ65
    Options
    those look great!
    I'm going to use skim milk, brown sugar, and lite cinnamon applesauce (only 1 1/2 cups) and sprinkle them with cinnamon sugar instead of putting the applesauce on

I like the idea of the cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top! I did have everything but applesauce. So I have a note on my stove to get some tomorrow and I will make these. Kind of excited as this will be a bit of an adventure for me as i am just trying to get into using oats and applesauce in my cooking, but these just sounded interesting and good. I am a hockey "mom" to a college hockey player and i am going to make a batch for him, too, for a road trip they have this week.
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    Mine are in the oven now. I also added 1 tbsp of milled flaxseed and 1 tsp of apple pie spice in addition to the changes I already mentioned in an earlier post. Plus I sprinkled the tops with cinnamon and sugar in the raw. . I only got 11 muffins out of it and they came to 124 calories each. Stay tuned!
    They are in the database under spiced applesauce oatmeal muffins.

Edited to add my house smells simply amazing!
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    ok so mine are out of the oven. First impression? they needed more sugar. They were a little bland for my liking even with the added maple extract and apple pie spice. also, I dont recommend using paper muffin tin liners. they stuck to the paper liner REALLY bad so I wont use those again. but overall they were pretty good especially for the calorie count. I will definitely eat them and make them again with a few tweaks. thumbs up!
    1290399612.jpg
    1290399581.jpg
  • TracieJ65
    Options
    They sure look pretty though! :happy:
  • JillTwiss
    Options

Your total didn't include the sugar as per your original recipe.
    Crap! You're right.
  • JillTwiss
    Options
    Added the sugar I inadvertently left out the first couple of times.
    recipe2.jpg
  • heathersmilez
    Options
    I LOVE how 2 of us (in addition to the op) went out and baked these asap after they were posted and took photos. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, photos with my recipes, I never post a recipe on MFP without one. I have a book I’ve made with about 40 recipes now that I tweeked from unhealthier versions, calculated WW points and took a photo of. It’s my pride and joy hobby ;)

Glad to see some like-minded people are out there.
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    I LOVE how 2 of us (in addition to the op) went out and baked these asap after they were posted and took photos. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, photos with my recipes, I never post a recipe on MFP without one. I have a book I’ve made with about 40 recipes now that I tweeked from unhealthier versions, calculated WW points and took a photo of. It’s my pride and joy hobby ;)

Glad to see some like-minded people are out there.
    I just wish my good camera was not under the weather right now. My iPhone can only do so much.
  • loveusa
    Options
    Do the muffins have to be refrigerated since they have the apple sauce surprise center which is probably perishable at room temperature?