Goal weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Hi cheering you on.

I used a BF Scale and did some other tests and estimated my BF %. Then I figured out my Lean Body Mass. Then I added 20% body fat to that and got my goal weight. I am 190 lbs now I estimate that I have about 40 lbs per lose, but I will always be checking.
    Feel free to friend! :smile:
  • tracers11
    tracers11 Posts: 2
    Options
    My goal is 140. I'm 5'4" I have fibromyalgia and gained weight from issues with that. We just moved to a small town where I know no one lol. My hubby was in army and just got out. My goal is to lose 10 pounds , then another 10 and another....
    Until I reach my goal.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I used to want to be 125. Now I want to be 18 % Body fat.

I hope your goals change too! Weight doesnt matter... being fit does.
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I haven't decided what my goal weight is yet. I've weighed in the high 70kgs for a long time, apart from a brief spell when I didn't eat enough and was quite skinny but I never weighed myself so I have no idea what the numbers where then.

I nominally put 72kg but I will see how it goes. Firstly I would like to get to a healthy BMI (for me that is 75kg) and then see how i do then.

I would rather be eating healthily and having the occasional, enjoyable treat, and be a bit heavier, I think. For me, this was all about addressing binge eating rather than losing weight to a certain number.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I talked to my dr. He took into consideration my build. age, the fact that I've had children, and my height which most charts don't. I recommend next time you go to the doc you talk to them about your "goal".
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I might also mention that my cardiologist told me I was NOT overweight at 166 pounds and I am 5'3". This was last summer, I was a size 12 and running 4 to 5 times a week. I need to lose 16 pounds to get back down to where I was last summer. That is my first goal now and I will re-assess from there.
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I think it's more based on your own opinion and what your standards want to be since you could go to ten doctors to ask what your goal should be, and they'll all tell you something different.

To start off, I'm 5'3"

I started at 295.5 lbs, so divide that by two and I'd be aiming for about 148 lbs. I can live with that.
    MFP BMI suggest [for me] to be around 104.4-141.1 lbs... so that can very by a lot, but around 123 lbs.
    Other websites or phone apps will tell you different numbers, even phone apps will differ!
    Then you could decipher via "framing size" which is what I was doing for a while. So at one site, it tells me 131-147 lbs, about 139 lbs if I was searching for the middle of those numbers. Of course, I could try for lower end or higher end.

How I've been looking at it for a while now... I "want" to surpass 148 lbs and hit about 145 lbs. If I do, I can still choose to try losing more weight if I believe it's necessary. It's not the doctors choice, and I've lost over 100+ lbs without them, so they can't tell me squat! Pick a number that you feel you can accomplish, if you think you want to lose more after that goal, then do so!
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I used this website. You put your height and weight in and it shows you how you sort of look now. Then you put in the weight you wished you were and it shows you how you will sort of look then. I choose 130 pounds as my goal. Most people go off BMI but I do not like the very low numbers it gives me. My doctor said I should shoot for no lower than 120 pounds. I'm 5"2 started at 275.7 pounds. I'm down to 223.7 pounds.
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    asked my doctor at my last physical, bmi charts are misleading.

Very misleading, especially if you're gaining lean muscle. BMI was developed in the 1830s as a tool for estimating obesity in populations, not individuals. It only takes height and weight into consideration, not body composition. For example, my body fat is 8.5%, but my BMI is 23.5 -- just below "overweight". To get to the mid-range "healthy" value of 21.5 (150 lb, from my current 164 lb), I'd need to get to close to 0% body fat, or lose some lean mass.

A much better tool is the waist-to-height ratio. There are many calculators online, including this one: http://www.shapefit.com/calculators/waist-to-height-ratio-calculator.html