Muscles not getting sore...

Options
Okay, so Ive been working on abs since the beginning of this year (2014) and Ive seen some change, but thats probably because I lost abunch of weight (50lbs) which kind of defined my muscles when I lost it. Arms? No problem I can easily work on them and get'em sore, but abs? Never not once have I gotten them sore except for when I was using a hoolihoop for like 1 hour xD My workout usually last 30 minutes and then after I end it with some cardio. After the 30 min of ab workouts Im sweating like a pig, and Im not able to finish a situp with out getting momentum to lift my body up. I will sometimes do this twice a day. I also do arm workouts which then make the time of exercise to an hour. So I woke up this morning and my muscls weren't sore at all, and I weighed myself this morning because its been 2 weeks since I increased my calories to 2300ish from 1800ish I weighed 163 which is 5 pounds more than my last way in, so another question is this water weight due to the huge work out the night before, or is it actually muscle build? Keeping in mind my abs have never gotten sore, only my arms have been....

Replies

• fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Sore says nothing about a good workout, some people never get sore
  • NagromXIV
    NagromXIV Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sore says nothing about a good workout, some people never get sore
    So Ive heard, but why dont they?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    It depends on your BMR. 500 calorie increase could still leave you in the deficit.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Treat your abs like the other muscles you want to build...lift heavy. Doing 100000 situps wont get your abs sore if they are conditioned well.

Go switch things up. Get on the decline bench and do slow crunches with a 100lb dumbbell in your hands. That'll give you ripples. Do weighted planks with your toes up on a small yoga ball...crazy hard stability wise...if its not...wiggle your feet or if you're really good, do it on one foot.

do heavy ball slams...cuz they are fun.

Have a boxer do a few rounds on your stomach bare fisted...that'll get you sore!

Seriously though, switch things up and lift something heavy with your abs.
  • NagromXIV
    Options
    It depends on your BMR. 500 calorie increase could still leave you in the deficit.
    Youre joking... -_- So what about the weight gain of 5lbs over 2 weeks?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    You should not use soreness as an indicator of an effective workout. Being sore does not indicate that a workout actually did anything, other than make the muscle you used sore. Soreness or DOMS can tell you that you actually trained the desired muscle but it doesn't mean much more than that.

Sounds like you are doing a ton of ab work and very little other work, so your abs are probably accustomed to the work that you are doing. If you are not progressing in some way the muscle will eventually get to a point where they are as "effective as they can be" with a certain workout, this is were progressive overload should come in.

The first question I have is what are your goals? Sounds like you need to rethink your routine, unless abs are your only goal.
  • NagromXIV
    Options
    Treat your abs like the other muscles you want to build...lift heavy. Doing 100000 situps wont get your abs sore if they are conditioned well.

Go switch things up. Get on the decline bench and do slow crunches with a 100lb dumbbell in your hands. That'll give you ripples. Do weighted planks with your toes up on a small yoga ball...crazy hard stability wise...if its not...wiggle your feet or if you're really good, do it on one foot.

Have a boxer do a few rounds on your stomach bare fisted...that'll get you sore!

I dont have much to work with, I have barbells each that are 18lbs. thats about it
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options

Most likely water retention from recently increasing your calories, and your workouts.
  • NagromXIV
    Options
    You should not use soreness as an indicator of an effective workout. Being sore does not indicate that a workout actually did anything, other than make the muscle you used sore. Soreness or DOMS can tell you that you actually trained the desired muscle but it doesn't mean much more than that.

Sounds like you are doing a ton of ab work and very little other work, so your abs are probably accustomed to the work that you are doing. If you are not progressing in some way the muscle will eventually get to a point where they are as "effective as they can be" with a certain workout, this is were progressive overload should come in.

The first question I have is what are your goals? Sounds like you need to rethink your routine, unless abs are your only goal.
    Abs are definitely a priority but Ive also been doing big bicep workouts, which have been working well. I do actually have equipment for arms
  • NagromXIV
    Options

Most likely water retention from recently increasing your calories, and your workouts.
    Craaaaap, so 2 weeks no progress? xD
  • geminitro
    geminitro Posts: 2
    Options
    Just follow the video "insanity: Insane ABS" it work very good for me !
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options

Well I can't say that. It takes more than 2 weeks to figure it out.
  • NagromXIV
    Options

Ah, okay
  • NagromXIV
    Options
    Just follow the video "insanity: Insane ABS" it work very good for me !
    ill look into it, thx
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Ah, okay

You do know muscle is 80% water. So if you are increasing calories to build muscle your body needs more water. more water+more calories= weight gain,
  • NagromXIV
    Options

Ah, okay

You do know muscle is 80% water. So if you are increasing calories to build muscle your body needs more water. more water+more calories= weight gain,
    Thats something I havent really been doing, I dont drink water as often as I should be, I dont drink other things either... but I know food has some water in it depending on what it is
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Options

Ah, okay

Thats something I havent really been doing, I dont drink water as often as I should be, I dont drink other things either... but I know food has some water in it depending on what it is

Doesn't matter. Your muscles still retain water.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options

I dont have much to work with, I have barbells each that are 18lbs. thats about it
    You can always find something heavy...does your car have a spare tire? That's probably 20-80lbs (depending on car) Hang a few gallon jugs of water from your barbells.

You can do the weighted crunches on the floor. Can you hold both barbells? That would be a good starting weight.

Ever done leg lift hip thrusts? I think they are killer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS4PHuFs5Zo They work even better if you don't use momentum to thrust the hips though.
  • NagromXIV
    Options

You can always find something heavy...does your car have a spare tire? That's probably 20-80lbs (depending on car) Hang a few gallon jugs of water from your barbells.

You can do the weighted crunches on the floor. Can you hold both barbells? That would be a good starting weight.

Ever done leg lift hip thrusts? I think they are killer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS4PHuFs5Zo They work even better if you don't use momentum to thrust the hips though.
    Actually I havent, Ive done normal leg lifts void of momentum but not the thrusts
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    - Hanging leg raises
    - AB wheel rollouts
    - Dragon Flags

Those should test your abs sufficiently.