Is weighing myself in the afternoon a bad thing?

Options
2»

Replies

• pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    From my experience the only right result is after you wake up and have a poo. Both conditions have to be met. In the afternoon you're usually after food so it's not a good time.
  • stacynoell
    stacynoell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Buy yourself a good digital scale and weigh yourself in the morning. I weigh every day to stay on track, but ideally weigh yourself twice a week on the same days- Sunday and Wednesday worked for me.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    No, it just can change more depending on what you eat. But it will be in line with what most places go by when you get weighed like the Doctors office.
    In the hospital the daily weight is done at six in the morning so that it is the most accurate for medication or weight tracking depending the reason the doctor ordered it.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad thing if you are consistent. My weight loss support group meets in the evening so I have to record an evening weight. I'm still losing weight despite the PM weigh-in. It's been a struggle - gained 15 pounds over my start weight and finally clawing my way back.
  • emjohnston2014
    Options
    Thank you everybody so much! i only have 19 pounds left to lose and its starting to become more and more of a struggle! ill invest in a good scale!
  • healthyscratch1978
    Options
    I don't think so. It may not be as accurate, but if you're eating at a deficit, you should see a downward trend. I weigh with clothes and boots on, so I'm not exactly worried about the scale #, just that it's slightly smaller than it was the week before.

I fluctuate about 3/4 of a pound to a pound and a half depending on water retention, and whatever other factors I don't understand. I weigh 4 times a week: 2x midmorning on Tuesday & Thursday, and 2x late afternoon on the same days. I take the average of that and compare it to the average from the previous week. The extra sample points smooth out the fluctuations a little. Also helps you to not get down if it's a little higher than you expect at any one point, because it will most likely just be a factor in the weekly average.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so i work everyday from 8-4 and hit the gym everyday right after work. When i do get on the scale its always between 4pm and 5pm. Is this a bad thing? Am i getting any sort of accuracy ? When should i be weighing myself?

Ive been meaning to get a home scale. :)
    If you do it consistantly the same then you are doing fine. I have found the PM weigh ins ahve been better for me in the last 8 weeks. One thing you will need to watch is what you eat/drink during the day. Most do in the AM becuase they have bascially fasted for 8-12 hours.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    People actually concern themselves with the weight they lose from BREATHING???
    you actually lose a considerable amount of weight from breathing via water vapour throughout the day/night

Wait.........wut??? :huh:
    Pretends_to_be_interested_know_your_bsing.gif

e66d0b4644d73fd56540cf03949646c76b2deda57ab7125d951e9980e0713af1.jpg
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    People actually concern themselves with the weight they lose from BREATHING???
    you actually lose a considerable amount of weight from breathing via water vapour throughout the day/night

Wait.........wut??? :huh:
    Pretends_to_be_interested_know_your_bsing.gif

e66d0b4644d73fd56540cf03949646c76b2deda57ab7125d951e9980e0713af1.jpg

So.......I should hyperventilate more often (exhaling those vapors) and get rid of my humidifier cuz its making me gain weight???

Jwr5tCK.gif

OP - I do agree with being consistent. Pick a time and stick to it!